Temperature control ? - options ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durham70

Reaction score
Hi

In the past 12 months I've moved to using fresh wort kits and have recently moved to kegging and bought a kegerator from CB.

I'm now starting to think about temperature control..

I currently have two brews in the kegerator and I want to put a third on to ferment.
(Using wyeast 1056)

To try to manage temperatures I've got a few options (in the short term) and would welcome some thoughts from those far more experienced than me........

1. Take the two gassed up kegs out of the kegerator for a couple of weeks and use that to ferment in.
Cons: no cold beer for 2 weeks, mold in fridge ?, impact on kegged beer if it gets hot ??

2. I have 1 room with reverse cycle air con. Set that low, put the brew on and close the door for 2 weeks
Cons: cost ?

3. Ferment in the cupboard under the stairs where it is dark and a bit cooler
Cons: temperature might still get a bit warm

4. Wait for a few months until it cools down

5. Buy another fridge to ferment in (not a short term option as it would need approval from the other half...)

I'm in Sydney so not dealing with Perth temperatures but still high 20's this week if you believe the forecast.

Also travelling a bit so can't check it / do ice and cold towels everyday unfortunately so that option is out.

All views appreciated

Cheers

brew a saison or get the ferment fridge.

An ale is generally done in 4-5 days. The rest of the time it is in the "cleaning" (conditioning) phase and control isn't as crucial as it is during the Adaptation (lag time) or Attenuative (fermenting) phases.

Get on ebay or gumtree and buy another fridge and an stc 1000, well worth it for the peace of mind with temp control. I set mine up for less than 100 bucks.

I stuffed around with different options, but in the end there is only 1 option. 2nd fridge with stc. My advice is just to go ahead and buy it. Your better off asking SWMBO for forgiveness than permission.

BTW last weekend I brought home another keg and SWMBO was starting to have a go at me for buying more stuff. A few minutes of sweet talk and a few jokes and the tiger got tamed.

Pratty1 said:
Get on ebay or gumtree and buy another fridge and an stc 1000, well worth it for the peace of mind with temp control. I set mine up for less than 100 bucks.
If outer dimensions of the fridge don't matter, you should be able to get a freebie off gumtree. I saw stacks of them when I was looking but
If you can't get your STC locally, get one from ebay, you can get one from an Australian seller (quicker shipping) for about $28.

You'll end up spending more money, stuffing about and stressing if you do anything but refrigerate.

Get a second fridge,

but in the meantime I would put your fermenter into a tub filled with water (And some bleach in the water to kill nasties). Then drape a towel over the top so it sits in the water and draws the water up onto the towel.

Then put all of this under your stairs. Providing your not getting the 40s that were going to get here in Melbourne this week and you should be right. I doubt it would get much over 22C

I have a similar situation to you and this is what I do.

Keg and bottle about 50 -50 of my beer. (I take a lot of beer out, so I don't mind bottling)
Use my kegerator for fermenting and cold conditioning. While the kegerator is fermenting I drink bottled beer and when the it's cc'ing, I drink kegged beer. (I can fit a 19l keg in with my fermenter)
I also brew saisons and while they're brewing I can use my kegerator solely for kegs.
In winter, I find that temperature control isn't as critical where I live, so I can dedicate the kegerator to kegs.

It's not perfect, but I have a bit of a system going now and it works for me.

6th option - drink the kegs and go back to bottles :p

When I eventually get room for kegging I plan on getting a dedicated chest freezer so I can put 4 kegs in it.

Get a fridge
I just bought one on gumtree - $90
If your like me and space is a premium go for somthing thats single door and about 240lt - fits my fermenter perfectly
You can get a STC on ebay and wire it up but if your like me n not to keen on burning the house down buy one good to go for $70 @ Keg King

durham70 said:
5. Buy another fridge to ferment in (not a short term option as it would need approval from the other half...)
Do it right, do it once.

A temperature controlled fermentation vessel is a thing of beauty - you will show it off to all who visit.

Temp controlled ferm fridge, seems like a big step, but once you have it set up you won't look back. It is so easy and so much less stress than faffing about with ice and towels and stuff. Yep ice and towels and stuff works I used to do it, but love the set and forget ferm fridge.
I run a bar fridge fits one fermenter in and run one brew at a time. Doesn't take up that much space.

So, reading between the lines.........., I should get a 2nd fridge.!!!!

I'll start the education process at home about the need whilst I track down a suitable candidate and read up on STC's

thanks for all the advice

Cheers
David

You can normally pick up a second hand fridge for $50-100.
STC you can build for maybe $30.
Infared heat lamp, maybe $50.

The fridge alone will get you up and running this time of year, you won't need a heat source until winter - but they're still handy to have all year round.

As others have said, keep an eye out on gumtree.

I was lucky enough to pick up a new fridge last week for free.

It will hold 4x kegs (my current fridge only holds one keg) so my current keg fridge will become a fermenting fridge.

Tried hooking it up to a PID I had purchased for temperature controlling an AG rig, turns out they only like resistive loads. Looks as though the compressor blew the relay, so I will be purchasing an STC1000 this week plus a new relay. :D

damoninja said:
Or ceramic heat lamp, or brew belt
Yeah, although brew belt around the fermenter isn't advisable.

I have a ceramic one… it's awesome… puts heat out, heats the fridge and not the fermenter directly, and doesn't product any light that could damage the beer.

Checkout freecycle in your area. I just picked up another bar fridge for free as a third :)ph34r:) fermenting fridge....

Spiesy said:
Yeah, although brew belt around the fermenter isn't advisable.
I don't have mine around the fermenter but attached side of the fridge. I place has is brick with great insulation and never gets super cool so it doesn't need hardcore heating. So effectively does the same thing just not as efficiently.

Latest posts

Back