temp q

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickymac

Reaction score
hi all first post and a bit of a newbie, put on a batch to brew, a coopers pale ale, basically a kit and kilo, but added bag cascade hops and used safale yeast, that was 2 days ago and the temp of it has been about 26 since i put it all on, just checked it this morn and its still 26 degrees, is this too high, do i need to cool it down?
any help appreciated

If it was safale US05 yeast, you'll probably get some fruity flavours at that temp. Ideal temp is 18 degrees for that yeast.

thanks for the reply manson, yeah it was safale us05 yeast
ok ill expect some fruity flavours then :D

you'll definitely get some fruity flavours from ester production, and possibly fusel alcohol which is produced when ferment temps get to 26-27

should i cool it down or attempt to? do i want/need ester production and fusel alcohol?
sorry for noob questions

Esters, it depends on your tastes
Fusel alcohol, nope. It's a spicy/solventy taste that isn't great

It's potentially almost fermented out at that temp already so cooling it down now will help but a lot of the damage could already be done.

Give it another week in the fermenter at a cooler temp though.

And don't worry too much, you've still made beer which will be perfectly drinkable, but next time you'll know :)

Back