Temp probe location

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Anyone know of a good priced quality fermenter thermowell?
BeerBelly's is well priced.

It takes literally 5 seconds to clean, I just soak it in the fermenter with everything else. And honestly there's not really any more chance for infection… it's a sealed stainless tube sitting inside your fermenter.

I also use a blow off tube, to prevent krausen explosions, due to using fermenter lid - also saves any air being sucked into the fermenter when moving.

I've done 5 batches with the STC probe in the beer with glad wrap top.

Fridge hardly tuns on.

No infections. Beer has improved possibly fermenting a little too cleanly for some styles.

Might be a cowboy move but they are aquarium probes and the plastic's not in 20%+ alcohol at any elevated temps so don't think it's leaching anything to harmful.

The beers artificial preservative free so that rounds it our right?

* my personal view and it's your health ect...

the thermowell is open at one end and you just feed the probe that comes with the STC1000 through the opening to the bottom of the thermowell. The outside that is contact with the wort is sealed and polished so there are no crevices or gaps which could harbour nasties.

Foster said:
Does the probe from Beer Belly have to be "hard" wired to the STC 1000 or does it have plug?
As others have mentioned. It's a cylinder with one end open. You simply insert your temp probe into one end, easy.

I've got one of the beer belly long thermowells but never used in in the fermenter...did use it in the mash once or twice. Now just put the probe directly in the mash.

Difference in temp between actual wort temp and probe stuck to the side is exactly +/- bugger all...

Latest posts

Back