Temp controller that does not require wiring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to cut any cords/wires on your fridge (unless you want to bypass the thermostat, but my little bar fridge gets as cold as I want to I didn't need to mess with my thermostat).

As Kev said, get an extension cord and chop it in half. Fridge plugs into normal female plug on extension cord. The two chopped bits of the extension cord are inside the jiffy box and wired up according to the diagram above, and the normal male plug on the extension cord plugs into the wall.

The set up is pretty easy. The STC just acts as a simple switch for the power to the fridge. Instead of a physical switch activating the power (like your wall plug), the STC grabs current temperature. If temp is above set temp it lets power through to the fridge cooling it down. Once temp gets below set temp it cuts power to fridge.

angus_grant said:
No need to cut any cords/wires on your fridge (unless you want to bypass the thermostat, but my little bar fridge gets as cold as I want to I didn't need to mess with my thermostat).

As Kev said, get an extension cord and chop it in half. Fridge plugs into normal female plug on extension cord. The two chopped bits of the extension cord are inside the jiffy box and wired up according to the diagram above, and the normal male plug on the extension cord plugs into the wall.

The set up is pretty easy. The STC just acts as a simple switch for the power to the fridge. Instead of a physical switch activating the power (like your wall plug), the STC grabs current temperature. If temp is above set temp it lets power through to the fridge cooling it down. Once temp gets below set temp it cuts power to fridge.
Thanks that clears this up. So I would just get an additional extension cord to get the second female plug for the heating source right?

Assuming you're using a heating source at all. You don't need to wire anything to the heat part, it will work just fine with only the cooling part wired up.

Oh ok cool. So the STC 1000 is fine with only the cooling wired in. Do you have to put some sort of stopper or something to the heating part of it? or just leave it as is?

Thanks this is really good information. I feel i can take this DIY project on and not kill myself! one last thing, what is the best container vessel or where can you purchase one?

I wired the heat side of mine for the sake of it. It costed an extra $2 for the cable.

I have a brew belt that I might actually use come winter, I've suspended it along the inside of my fridge but I won't worry about plugging it in until next year's winter.

You dial the fridge down to the lowest setting right? meaning the coldest it can go? or the warmest, the reason i ask is becasue my fridge goes 1-5, 1 being warm and 5 being cold.

Elderfi said:
You dial the fridge down to the lowest setting right? meaning the coldest it can go? or the warmest, the reason i ask is becasue my fridge goes 1-5, 1 being warm and 5 being cold.
Coldest setting

My first FridgeMate I used the extension cord approach (this is the one in my sons room)

For my dual STC build, I used some flush power points from JayCar, This allows me to wire up the cooling and heating circuits but not have extension cord for heating around the place being unused with the kegerator. Down the track I can plug in a heating element if required cause the wiring is already there. Build it now and then forget about it until you need it.

Looks a bit neater too for me.

superstock said:
Plug this -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110940631034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 -into ebay aus. I used one of these on my heat belt during winter, worked perfectly. Rated @2000w, heat or cool. Plug In set and forget. NO WIRING. Second one arrived from China yesterday, I'm going to try it on my w'shop fridge. At $10.28 delivered!!
I just bought one. it seems to do exactly what I want. just plug in and go. I also bought an STC 1000 today... sooo looks like ill have an STC 1000 for sale in a couple of weeks when it arrives

I'm going to go ahead and assume there is a reason it only costs $10.

I have used the last two posted, sure it's cheap. Maybe it's no STC - 1000, but I have been using mine for over a year no temp problems.

People will rag on them but $10 and you don't blow yourself or your fridge up, save yourself some agony. Just my opinion, standing back now :D

well i for a total of 30 bucks I now have options!!! The grand plan is to make a keggartor, using a chest freezer. My mate at work tells me this is the most economical way (using a temp controller) so i guess i could use my stc then :D

I dunno, I think $10 is a fair china price for a thermostat. There aren't any expensive parts in it. I think it looks pretty good so long as the socket connects to the mains plug firmly enough.

I don't particularly agree with the amount of encouragement the OP has received considering his admitted complete lack of electrical knowledge. It is all well and good to follow a coloured picture but there can always be implications they aren't aware of. Like, for just one example, Joe Brewer uses a metal enclosure because they have one lying around, fail to earth it, and their kid trips on the cord that passes thru a sharp drilled hole in the enclosure which cuts into the cable, and makes the box live, ready to kill the next person to touch it.

Back