Tell Me Does Everyone Go Through This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a bit off topic but how old are people at clubs??? I'm only 19 so would be weird if i'm the only youngin

Mate, DW about being the youngin. The older lads are really helpful and always willing to pass on the knowledge to us younger generation (im 20). If you can look past the beards and families, theyre not a bad bunch of blokes :icon_chickcheers: .

Try to attend as many of your local meetings as you can and you'll learn heaps. Remember to ask pleanty of questions

Without that I never would have even dreamed of going AG in my life, but now ive just been to a brew day where "PostModern" walked me through the AG process and I'm only a few (hundred) dollars away from getting all of my AG gear together

Sponge

I gave up smoking a year and a half ago. Was smoking close to a pack a day.

It was easy to give up...I read this book called 'the easy way to give up smoking' - read 8 chapters and gave up for good.

Jee, I didn't think id get such a response. Something to say for giving up the smokes! Oh yes and thanks for the encouragement guys, some days you need all you can get.

On a side note, I had one of the best nights sleep I've had in years. I just hope I am over the craving stage now, cause they were really starting to kill me.

And again, if you smoke, think about kicking it, the benefits outweigh the losses. First morning in over fifteen years I haven't woken up shitty and looking for a smoke.

Since we are suddenly discussing motives to quit, I watched that quit ad with the father in hospital on his death bed and his young daughter telling him about her great day out......As the father of a now near 2 year old, that was enough to convince me to quit.....

And interestingly enough, all my beer tastes odd tonight, I think the fact that my nose is full of dried blood (I have an annoying tendency towards nosebleeds) is really affecting it...(sorry if that's too much info for some)

I'm 38 and just getting into it.. have had years of beer drinking experience though :)

Still a smoker though. Mind you, I saw the same ads Pollux did and if I had a kid, I'd probably do the same.

That said, the idea of a judging panel being averse to a smoker being on the panel strikes me as rather odd. A few of the great vinophiles, including judges and a couple of top sommeliers, I've met over the years were members of the Order of the Black Lung. A well trained palate is able to see through the masking to which it has become accustomed. Average Joe on the other hand doesn't stand a chance. Or am I somehow foolishly believing that BJCP and other judges are these rare folk with a near perfect sense of taste?

Hi Fermented and All,

Having judged along side the best Commercial, Micro and Home brewers in our fine land the general concensus has been to have the least amount of sensory manipulation as posible. (smoking toward the top of the list) Interestingly, after talking to QC for one of the world big 3 breweries, they have a flat rule "no smoking or smokers near tastings"

Just letting you know what I know. :D

Cheers and well done to all who are off the darts.

It's good to be overly critical of your brews yet you need to enjoy them at the same time. Bit contradictory I know but they can both compliment each other. Some of my latest brews I really enjoy yet at the same time I know where I want to make improvements. If you thought they were perfect you'd stop learning, and you'd want to be a pretty experienced brewer to be at that stage!! It's a real kick to pour a beer for a friend / family member and knowing that they really enjoy the taste. My last brew was a partial and while I know what areas I'd improve upon next time, a few family members enjoyed it to the point where they took any bottles I had with me :) They aren't the usual XXXX / Tooheys drinkers either, this brew appealed to a few people who enjoy a beer with taste!

Oh and in regards to the smoking, think about the money you can "divert" to brewing. Just look at it as a rehab, and you'll be enjoying good beers while you're at it!!

Oh and in regards to the smoking, think about the money you can "divert" to brewing. Just look at it as a rehab, and you'll be enjoying good beers while you're at it!!

Bought two more kegs this week and it looks like I will save some money as well ;)

Back