Tcb Wetpacks Vs Grumpy's Masterbrews/extrabrews Vs Esb 3kgs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat

Reaction score
Just wondering if people have tried those two or three brands of "deluxe kits" and may give some feedback on how they compare?

I've bought a few grumpy's Masterbrews last year, and they turned out quite all right. With the grumpy's price increase from a few months ago and no more half-price shipping, the Wetpacks are now cheaper than MBs+extract, and seem to offer a full-on extract brew. They are reviewed quite well at HBKitReviews.com, but there are not that many reviewers. Looking at what they are supposed to be, they seem more like Grumpy's extrabrews, which are $5 or $10 more expensive.
I've also done a couple of ESB 3Kgs this winter (two pilsners), and the first one turned out quite good with some saaz dry hopping (2nd one still in secondary). As I can get them locally they're about $10-15 cheaper than the wetpacks plus shipping costs.

Not trying to be a cheapskate, just curious about wetpacks and how they compare with similar products, on the face of it they seem quite decent value for money.

I'll probably get the american pale ale wetpack to brew for summer and see for myself. Any recommendation for hop additions? :)

I think the comparison of the TCB and Grumpies products is valid, putting the ESB 3Kg in the same basket isn't.

The ESB 3 Kg is better compared to the Muntons 3 and 3.6Kg all extract brews. I personally have brewed more ESB 3Kg kits than any other kit (back when) they are very good both from a quality and value point of view.
My favourite ESB was always the Czech Pilsner; in the Muntons range the Conkerwood is to my mind the finest Black you can make from a kit.

Muntons have gone up in price considerably over the last year; this is making the ESB look like even better value.

There are a lot of costs for the producer when you are building wet pack type products; these are reflected in the retail price of the pack. But you get the extra complexity and variety as well as the option to fine tune the brew to your tastes: - at a price.

I think it all depends what you are looking for.

MHB

Re- the hops; Cascade Chinook Amarillo Cluster Willamette..

I can't comment on the grumpys brews, but i have done a number of ESB tins and 3 wetpacks. The wetpacks are really worth it. The APA is great, 2 of the three were the APA. The other one I did was the Pilsner which was a bit dissapointing, not really a pilsner at all, more a malty amber coloured lager. Still tasted good though and still better than the ESB tins I tried (not that they were bad).

If you choose to go down the wetpack path, just keep in mind that they aren't very bitter and I have always added a fair bit more hops early in the boil to account for this. Check out hbkitreviews for my review on the APA.

I can really vouch for the freshness of the TCB wetpaks - they smell totally delicious for the first few days in the fermenter and aren't dissappointing when consumed either!

BB

Only ever tried the TCB Old Porter Wet pack and it was definately a winner. Only problem was that it didn't last long enough.

I've got an ESB Pilsner 3KG tin just put into the keg last week....

So far it is not tasting too good. Hopefully it will improve with time.

If you want to go a bit extra, try the ESB & G&G fresh wort packs.
As close as I'll ever get to AG brewing :p

I've done a few ESB fresh worts (the pilsner was quite nice, didn't like the irish red, bottled an octoberfest two weeks ago) and one G+G lager is in secondary now :)
The wetpacks and grumpy's kits kind of give you the impression that you're doing a bit more in terms of brewing, you know, all that boiling and stuff :)

Back