Tastes Crap...should I Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythehuman

Reaction score
I tried to make a wheat beer, i use the spreadsheet and followed a recipe, mostly. Its finished fermenting, 1046->1010, tastes crappy out of the fermenter, has a strong strange malty flavour.

It was my 4th brew and i am wondering...do people who find something tastes like crap in the fermenter changes to something good once bottled? Or sometimes you know you made a crapper and just tip it out?

recipe
1.5 unhopped LME wheat
1kg dme
.5kg wheat malt

25g saaz 60min
wb06

Do you like the commercial-type wheat beers that you are trying to emulate? Wheat beer is not my favorite beverage, so maybe you just don't like them too?

If you just mean that you don't like it - time can and often does sort that out.

Good luck with it.

yeah i do like wheat beer normally...i am wondering how often you try it before bottling and it tastes crap and then you bottle and it changes to good...

The 3 galaxy hopped brews Ive done tasted crap at bottling time then all of them turned out good after a month or so conditioning.

yeah i do like wheat beer normally...i am wondering how often you try it before bottling and it tastes crap and then you bottle and it changes to good...
Here's how it works for at least the first few brews:

Tastes promising during primary, disappointing at bottling, you drink the batch through grittted teeth and it tastes like disappointment, the last bottle is the best beer you've ever drunk.

one of my early brews was a coopers sparkling ale clone attempt tasted crap at bottling and crapper at 2 weeks in the bottle. time went on and i forgot about it a bit tried it after 2 months and its great and getting better by the week. i say bottle it and forget about it for a month then try it, if its still bad forget about it for another 1 or 2.

Mic

Tastes promising during primary, disappointing at bottling, you drink the batch through grittted teeth and it tastes like disappointment, the last bottle is the best beer you've ever drunk.

+1

Pretty much how it was with me. Now Ive learnt if its crap to just leave it alone and try one every month, no earlier.

I tried to make a wheat beer, i use the spreadsheet and followed a recipe, mostly. Its finished fermenting, 1046->1010, tastes crappy out of the fermenter, has a strong strange malty flavour.

It was my 4th brew and i am wondering...do people who find something tastes like crap in the fermenter changes to something good once bottled? Or sometimes you know you made a crapper and just tip it out?

recipe
1.5 unhopped LME wheat
1kg dme
.5kg wheat malt

25g saaz 60min
wb06

Hey Jimmy,

If the flavour is too malty, sweet, bitter, hoppy etc...the flavour will mellow out with time spent in the bottle and will be probably be OK.

Tough call to throw away beer...and against the natural instinct of us brewers :lol: .

Are there any signs of infection?...Did you control the ferm temp?

Jake.

-1 if it tastes nasty out of the fermenter never found one that tastes good after time in the bottle.

Never tipped one though usually mix with a commercial brand or grit the teeth the more you drink the better it tastes.

Hey Jimmy,

If the flavour is too malty, sweet, bitter, hoppy etc...the flavour will mellow out with time spent in the bottle and will be probably be OK.

Tough call to throw away beer...and against the natural instinct of us brewers :lol: .

Are there any signs of infection?...Did you control the ferm temp?

Jake.

I dont think its infected. No temp control, however the temp is quite stable at 18, would have risen to 20 at the very most. I wouldn't say it tastes nasty, just has a strong/odd/malty flavour that isnt appealing. If some one can get smell and taste to work over the internet this would be a lot easier :)

I guess i bottle it and hope :)

I'd strongly suggest keeping it

At worst it's either going to be an infection batch or just a beer that isn't to your liking. Give it a chance and see if it turns around. If it's still a disappointment try it again monthly.

Even if you never enjoy it at least you'll be able to narrow down characteristics of the beer that aren't to your liking so that you can try to avoid them or correct any mistakes in your routine for future brews

Tom

I never taste out of the fermenter I find it never tastes like the end product..

Bottle it and see how it tastes in a few weeks..

Cheers.

I always taste out of the fermenter. Nice to see how things progress.

Having made both, there IS a difference between crap and infected.

I say bottle it.

25g of saaz for 60 minutes might be your issue. How many litres was your brew?

25 litres at OG 1.046 with saaz at (approx) 3.7% AA will give you about 9 IBUs.

Could be why there is a strong 'malty' sweetness.

Dave

A wheatbeer should be delicious (often more delicious out of the fermenter than 2 weeks later in the bottle) when bottling.

I'd still bottle it. And next time, get some 3068 or 3638 or even 1214 yeast ... WB06 makes average wheatbeer.

I try bulk priming and used the calculator for an american pale 21 litre and used 110g of white sugar in a cup or 2 of hot water, dissolved and racked onto it in the bottling bucket...is this going to be a failure from too little sugar?

I am about to try and bulk prime and bottle a wheat beer this arvo...i dont know what the volumes of co2 mean so i used the style guide in this calculator. Is 170g of sugar going to be ok for 21l wheat beer at 18o ?

thanks in advance

both yeast amounts will be fine.......the pale maybe a little on the light side, only just,

25g of saaz for 60 minutes might be your issue. How many litres was your brew?

25 litres at OG 1.046 with saaz at (approx) 3.7% AA will give you about 9 IBUs.

Could be why there is a strong 'malty' sweetness.

Dave

Yep, is low on the hopping... I'd go so far as to suggest this is the cause of the issue.

I calculate close enough to the same if boiled at full volume for 60mins. BU:GU of 0.2.
I like ~ 14 to 20 IBU in a wheat at around that gravity. Use a BU:GU of 0.4 to be specific.

Bottle and see how you go. If too malty/sweet on its own, try blending with other beers, sour/tart fruits or use it in a slow cooked winter warmer.

Another option is tetra hop but that can get out of control fast if your not careful. A drop goes a long way.

I snuck one today to see how it had gone, looks great, smels fantastic, has a fair amount of froth already, tastes kinda strange, add some lemon and its drinkable... its drinkable, but its strange, i will save it for visitors i dont want to encourage. :)

Back