"Taste of beer makes you want more, research shows"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Mmm, so now we know why...

(Story in today's Herald-Sun (Melbourne) at http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/taste-of-beer-makes-you-want-more-research-shows/story-e6frf7jo-1226621135091 )

BEER drinkers have long known the amber ale tastes good, but just a sip of the stuff provokes us with the urge to get drunk, research suggests.

A study by American scientists revealed the alcohol-related flavours in beer make the brain release dopamine, a pleasure hormone, which drives people to seek out more booze.

Scientists measured changes in dopamine release in 49 men - some with a family history of alcohol abuse - all with varied drinking habits, while they tasted very small amounts of beer.

All the men tested said they wanted to keep drinking.

The researchers found the men with a history of alcohol abuse in their family released larger amounts of dopamine.

They concluded this could be the reason why these people were more likely to have an alcohol-related problem.

University of Sydney scientist Michael Bowen said the study revealed the taste of beer was enough to make people want to get intoxicated.

"It's not just the alcohol that is resulting in this dopamine release - it is the taste of it,'' he said.

"Potentially these people (with a family history of alcohol abuse) have a greater potential to develop an alcohol abuse disorder down the track.

"It will potentially drive you to consume greater levels of alcohol.''

Mr Bowen said the reason why the researchers did not use wine or spirits in the study was because they needed to ensure the subjects were not drunk when they performed the tests.

Beer drinker Aaron Sealey, 24, of Mawson Lakes, said the findings didn't surprise him.

"Once you get the taste, you do want to have more," he said. "(But) it's got to do with the company too - I'm not going to drink beer just for the hell of it."

Beer drinker Aaron Sealey

"I'm not going to drink beer just for the hell of it."

good on you Aaron, you sound like a sensible young man, can I get you a Breezer instead?

I personally liked this bit
"Beer drinker Aaron Sealey, 24, of Mawson Lakes, said the findings didn't surprise him."
Well, case closed then.

In other news, people like to eat things that taste good :D

Give someone a very small amount of water and they'll want to keep drinking too.

I wanna know where I can buy carbonated dopamine.

Nick JD said:
I wanna know where I can buy carbonated dopamine.
Would you settle for liquid crack?

488000C392C400C7100416ADFC01DF14F1117D.jpg

I think it needed more quotes from people who have only been given a two sentence summary about something they don't really know anything about.

Back