Taste Bude Ruined

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
18 months ago I "discovered" craft beer.
12 months ago I began brewing .
Tonight we went out for dinner. Limited beer choice, so I went a guinness (can).
WTF! It tasted like... well, it hardly had any taste at all. Carbonated dark water with a slight flavour of ..... flavournesness.
Then I had a Boags Wizard Smith (previously my fave beer) and it had some flavour - but not much.
I got home and had a couplefew of my IPA's. Mmmm. Taste. Mmmm. Flavour...
Finishing off with one of my stouts. Guinness - why you no make yummy tasty delicious stout like this?
So. Thanks a lot everyone on here who has helped me, directly or indirectly, to brew awesometastydelicious beers.
I'm ruined...
:D

Only other brewers understand. My mates who don't brew think I'm just a beer snob!

:icon_offtopic: Please bum comment on this post.

The' favourite bum screen shot' thread will be nothing if it doesn't have a 'Taste bud ruined by bum" pic in it :lol:

Great post. This is an issue that people around me are commenting on also. My other half often goes back to what she knew, saying she fancies something bland (thats her words) but instead of Carlton Draught its at least Coopers Red, which she wouldn't have even gone for years ago. My best mate has been interested in helping me brew for the past year, and has since developed a keen appetite for hops, so much so that a recent Hoegaarden clone we did together that turned out perfect is to him OK, but "needs more hops". He now walks into a pub and wonders what beers they might have available instead of immediately ordering an extra dry. I took five work friends to a beer festival this year, and one of them said to me last week that I have ruined regular beer for him. I suggested to them a small party at my place for next Friday night to have a BBQ and a beer appreciation night and every one of them is very excited at the thought of being guided through the world of beers with taste once again, so I'll organise 6 x 6 packs plus my own brews.

Not only that, but in the past two years we are seeing some decent beers available at pubs across Sydney. In Newtown alone, the landscape is changing. The Marly now has about five taps of James Squire, including the Hoppy Hefe. A new bar close by has White Rabbit on tap. The Union Hotel apparently has a great selection. Richard Adamson has just opened a brewpub. The Sando has Murrays on tap. Several bottleshops on the strip carry 4-Pines. All of this in one precinct, and all in the last two years. So there's certainly a long overdue change in direction, which indicates that people are tuning in to what a good beer can be.

Australia still has a long way to go compared to the USA in terms of a craft beer scene, but it's a good start. With any luck, the recent budget announcement of changes to the tax rebates for small breweries will give industry a bit more cashflow to push the scene even further into the minds of the public.

Yesterday at work they bought a few slabs for the friday arvo... JSPA... had 1 sip

blech... horrid insipid shite

where's the frikkin Hops..

Yep... Im a beer snob :ph34r: with damn good reason :lol:

I remember when JS Golden Ale was a go to beer for me. Awesome hop aroma. A treat, a break-through.
Now I can't stomach even it. It's his fault not mine.

Yep you can actually ruin your taste buds by continually drinking highly hopped and bittered beers.
Personally I still like to be able to to appreciate "bland" or more subtle flavoured beers, which i think can be far more complex.
I find sparkling mineral water good for cleansing the palate, even when not drinking beer.

I used to love Guiness, pure blonde and K'nK homebrew. Then I went to a case swap and you bastards all runined it for me!

Yep you can actually ruin your taste buds by continually drinking highly hopped and bittered beers.

think I can live with that :lol:

They have Feral Hop Hog and (though not a comparison) MG Steam Ale on tap and Im just about to crack a SN Hoptimum.. there are commercial beers that cater to my ruined taste buds :rolleyes:

I never got the whole CPA Bannana thing till the other week when I got poured one by mistake, took a sip and the missus asked what that "face" meant when I frowned and puckered... Bannana!!

So in fact I believe my taste buds have 'matured' due to my love of the hop

Yob

ed: ... phaaark... what a way to start the day.. That SN Hoptimum's ruined my Taste buds :lol:

Back