Tasmanian Oak Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all these posts I can only presume that nobody acknowledges the existance of first, second, & maybe third aerations using the mash paddle or a motorised version of it?
Many more uses for the mash paddle than just breaking up doughballs.

Well are these so called koala's good for making mash paddles? :lol:

My main concern is to whether it has been treated with anything along the way and find it very hard to know if Bunnings products are safe if they don't know them selves.

There would be no point in treating it.

Only treated wood in Bunnings is the stuff that's treated.

Do your bit to help:
The Tasmanian economy (if you don't you will have to support us with more GST dividends from other states, thanks WA and QLD),
The Forest Industries (we need it due to the lying Greens and sell out Labor governments both Fed and State)
Use a renewable resource with low carbon footprint...unlike Aluminium, Stainless steel, plastic etc.
My continuing employment

I do have a Forest Industry affiliation!!
Cheers
Chris

so you doing a bulk buy?

:p

The Ministry of Deforestation. They killed the Thylacine, and are the reason why there are no more koala's in Tasmania.
What??
Tasmanian Tigers were hunted to extinction by farmers as they were thought to kill lambs, calves etc they were not killed off by foresters.
Koalas have never been present in Tasmania.

Don't let facts get in the way

TasChris

Well back to the thread subject. I haven't used wood anyway and ended up getting a perforated stainless steel offcut for free from a local supplier.

Thanks for the replies and now I have my mash paddle as you can see below. :p

IMG_0877.JPG

Boefore I retired, I worked in the Sydney CBD.
At luchtime, it wasn't unusual to be accosted by various charities, including Greenpeace and The Wilderness Society etc.
I always took great delight in telling them I was an executive with a woodchip exporter (in reality I managed major personal injury motor accident claims for an insurer) .
Was priceless to see the looks of disgust and horror on their faces (well, except for the idiot wearing the koala suit, couldn't really see his or hers).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I use a wooden mash paddle, and I'm still here to tell the tale.
I'm sure you'll be fine with your Tas Oak paddle. I havea length of it set aside in the garage/brewery to make into one when my current one gives up the ghost.

Tas Oak (there is actually no such tree as Tas Oak, just a vague grouping of eucalypt species...bit of marketing bullshit) is fine, I use a piece of Blackwood and had no problems, I am going to make a Huon Pine mash paddle just to be flash.
Most timbers have mild antibacterial properties and will be fine to use. The color stops coming out of the wood after a couple of uses and is just tannins.
Do your bit to help:
The Tasmanian economy (if you don't you will have to support us with more GST dividends from other states, thanks WA and QLD),
The Forest Industries (we need it due to the lying Greens and sell out Labor governments both Fed and State)
Use a renewable resource with low carbon footprint...unlike Aluminium, Stainless steel, plastic etc.
My continuing employment

Cheers
Chris

Here here, I could not agree more.......

Rather than Tassie oak, maybe Camphor Laurel would be a better choice due to its strong antibacterial characteristics and its considered a pest/weed species in Australia so it would be a win for the brewer and the environment. :)

Rather than Tassie oak, maybe Camphor Laurel would be a better choice due to its strong antibacterial characteristics and its considered a pest/weed species in Australia so it would be a win for the brewer and the environment. :)

Old thread but

"Toxicity

Camphor laurel is mildly toxic to humans, and mild symptoms may occur if large quantities are eaten. All parts of the plant are poisonous and can cause nausea, vomiting and respiratory distress. Allergic skin reactions can also occur."

https://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/Weeds/Details/28

I think any of those folk using a concealed element single vessel brewery a Tassie oak paddle would be a good choice. I periodically scrape the bottom of the Guten to remove any residual sugars using paddle.

Sanitising really doesn't matter too much pre fermentation as the boil will kill most bacteria and as Coalminer said" Camphor Laurel is mildly toxic to humans".

Camphor laurel leaches aroma and tannins, I’ve had some drying in my yard for almost 2 years and it took a long time to dry out, still has the light smell of camphor and even before considering the toxicity I wouldn’t put it near anything I eat or drink.

My tas oak paddle made with $5 of offcut from masters years ago has been fine, wet it down with cold and boiling water a few times after milling to clean and leach out tannins. It never goes in the pot after the grain is removed.

Back