Tasmanian Hallertau - For Testing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

I never bothered with the blind tasting as even a VB drinker could tell the difference between the two beers. The German Hallertau was its usual floral flavoursome beer. The Tassie Hallertau lacked any real hop impact apart from bitterness. It gave bugger all flavour and no aroma. The bittering wasn't harsh and was quite nice, but most people don't use Hallertau just for its bittering qualities.

My suggestion would be to continue to use German Hallertau and not to bother with the Tassie version.

In the past I used Tassie EKG and was equally dissapointed. I haven't given up on Aussie grown hops completely, but I'm pretty close.

Cheers
MAH

Thanks for posting your findings MAH.

It's threads like this that restore my faith in the AHB. :super:

Good to see just straight out threads of pure homebrewing research. B)

Warren -

Thanks for posting your findings MAH.

It's threads like this that restore my faith in the AHB. :super:

Good to see just straight out threads of pure homebrewing research. B)

Warren -

Ditto :)

Cheers Ross

I agree that the Aussie varieties are generally not as "in your face" but I think they do offer some good flavour and aroma. I reckon they need to be considered as varieties in their own right though - they shouldn't be compared to their Euro/US/UK equivalents. Same goes for NZ hops. But I definitely think there is a time and a place for the Aussie-grown varieties as flavour/aroma hops.
Totally agree with you TD you cant compare apples and pears.I have used Tassie hops and think thier ok.You would be surprised at the number of good Micros that are using them.One in particular buys most of the Tassie Cascade hop crop.I have used them in comp beers and have done well.With comments like "typical German hop type aromas".So may be its how you use them.I wouldnt go near ringwood or ringwood plus though. :unsure:A "in your face approach" with hops is not always a good thing stylistically.
Gryphon Brewing

Back