"tangy" Flavours? Delicious!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
I put down my first brew in about six months a couple of weeks ago (and man, did it feel good!). I was shooting for something at the heavier end of an american wheat or the lighter end of an APA and it looks like I've come up with the goods.

All extract, about 30% wheat. Hopped with Fuggle and Willamette early in the piece, Fuggle and Amarillo mid-way, and lots of late Cascade. 31IBU. US-05 fermented cold.

We've just about reached bottling time and I sneaked in a little sip when taking an SG reading. It has the most amazingly bizarre flavour I've not encountered before. It's fruity, but not in the grapefruity way one might expect. It's kind of tangy, perhaps not unlike an orange vitamin c tablet. As odd as that sounds, it really is delicious!

I suspect it's the amarillo/cascade combo with the not-quite attenuated wheat malt and a very neutral yeast that's come together to give off this flavour. Has anyone encountered this before?

sounds like a cascade description if iever i heard one.

What ever it is it sounds interesting. What other malts were used (I'm trying to subtly ask for the full recipe =))? This sounds like something I'd enjoy, and relatively easy. Plus not too pricey if I can get hold of some Amarillo.

Very very straightforward.

I started with a hopped kit - the Morgan's wheat one and a tin of unhopped Pale LME.

I didn't boil the kit but boiled everything else. Based on my funky boil volume, the following hop schedule came in at 31IBU.

10g each Willamette and Fuggle at 60
10g each Fuggle and Amarillo at 30
5g Amarillo and 12 g (teabag) Cascade at 0 mins
12g Cascade (teabag) @ 4 days
US-05 fermented at 16-17

There's a definite unusual tang to it!

Latest posts

Back