Swmbo Helps My Brewery Because She...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing is one of my hobbies, and it's all mine. Nothing to do with mrs warra. She doesn't drink, so I can brew what I want, when I want, and it's all for me.

I don't interfere with mrs warra's patchwork, embroidery, and knitting, or shopping for the grandkids.

Makes us about even in my book.
Similar story here, except my wife doesn't mind a beer (or cider) now and then (and replace grandkids with kids).

I make sure she gets time to do her thing and she makes sure I get time to brew/attend swaps/BJCP course/spend my leave driving over to Melbourne for ANHC/go to the Wheaty occasionally etc.

offered to buy my new brewery for me as i was a bit short at the time.
Has given the green light on growing hops on the 25 mtr of new pergola that will be built in the new year because she really likes the plant and knows i am crazy on growing them.
lets me take over the kitchen to yeast culture cos she knows it will get a good clean before and after the event.

My SWMBO helps my brewery because she,

Cleans kegs, fermenters, bottles & most other brewery gear if I need help.
Occasionally measures ingredients.
Labels the bottles & kegs.
Cleans the bar after a big night also flushing the beer lines & rinsing the drip trays.
Pours beer from the beer taps at the bar for all of our friends.
Refills the ice machine with water.
Refills the bar with nuts & chips etc
Gets the brew gear ready to go before I get home so brew time is shorter.

I just need to teach her how to brew & fill kegs & I wouldn't have much to do.

If she didn't help it would take me a lot longer on brew day.

Cheers WoolBrew :icon_cheers:
wow ... does she have a sister?????
that is a good wife.

That fact that people refer to their other halves as SWMBO says it all.......

aww cmon Doc.. it's ALL a laugh yeah? ;) it could be said that the fact we're still with em says it all too...

I call mine swmbo as a laugh... 'caus Id never heard it before I printed out the AHB acronyms :p ...

and I think she secretly likes it :D

silly question but what does swmbo mean?
She Who Must Be Obeyed.
I first heard it on an old BBC show on the ABC. "Rumpole of the Bailey".
This site gives some details of the terms origins:
http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/swmbo/

As for mine, she gave me my first brew kit for my birthday last year, and in her words has "started a monster".
She loves beer, and appreciates mine. She prefers it to most "shop" beers.
She would drink on average approx 750ml per night of my beer.
She lets me take over the kitchen to brew and bottle/keg.
She encourages me to buy different ingredients to experiment.

The Brew wench, cleans and steris all the kegs , drip tray and taps , washes fermenters , gives a hand with milling and even sujests changes to recipes ,, all this and all I have to do is make her dark beers ...

love my brew wench ...

cheers

Mine touches nothing, complains about how much i drink and how much time i spend brewing-researching beer when it suits her. At the end of the day though my brewery kit keeps expanding, and I'm building a much larger new shed-brewery, next year with her approval.
Can't complain really :icon_cheers:

...complained about the kitchen take-overs, sticky floor, the smell, and such, so I said that's easy, I'll just need a burner, couple of converted kegs, big esky, heating elements, etc... "OK, just get outta the kitchen!" she says, perfect.

Just gotta make enough mess around the fermentation cupboard and I''ll secure a fridge and temp control.

But we don't play games ;)

oh yeah, she chucks in fresh ice bricks while I'm at work. That's pretty cool.

Let me see.......
3 Keggerators
9 Perlick ss taps
2 Fermentation fridges
1 yeast fridge
1 bar room
1 brew stand

& no grief :D

:icon_cheers:

Paul

or maybe its the lack of a wedding ring combined with the fact i still own my balls...... for now :rolleyes:

There is the answer! Too late for me then! :lol:

But my wife understands (read: tolerates) my obsession.

Buys me a bar for my birthday....

And 2 Stainless Steel Perlicks for christmas :)

@bradsbrew - you could just make it 'she who makes brewer orgasm' then everyone would be happy. Those who have a hwmbo could simply substitute an 'H'
I already did that with Brad's original version :)

Unfortunately I don't have an understanding missus. I am constantly nagged about fermenters in the wrong place, brewing gear turning up in the mail, or the fact that I am brewing on the verandah etc.

On the bright side, "I don't see no rings on this finger"...

Well, she tried to help today.... yesterday the 5yo knocked my hydrometer off my desk while spinning on the chair. She comes home today with a shiney new BrewCellar Alcohol Meter. Not what I wanted but still. I'll exchange it tomorrow.

<br />I was trying to be inclusive. All you Brad's want everything for yourselves.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

She used to help bottle but now that I'm kegging the help is less forthcoming. She also uses any of my homebrew purchases as a justification for spending lots of money on clothes and other useless items.

And also complains that I spend more time brewing than I do with her.

She tastes all my beers and curls her nose up at the hoppy APA's. She smiles and nods when I talk about cheap smack packs and pils malt and sighs quietly when grain mills and large pots are purchased. She is a darl and knows I am obsessed. :icon_cheers:

She tastes all my beers and curls her nose up at the hoppy APA's. She smiles and nods when I talk about cheap smack packs and pils malt and sighs quietly when grain mills and large pots are purchased. She is a darl and knows I am obsessed. :icon_cheers:

Sounds about the same here jyo cept mine happily jumped at the idea when I said I wanted a grain mill so just got one for my birthday (bit late thanks to being from the US). Will help out when im trying to bottle a brew and boil one up at the same time and doesn't mind the kitchen getting invaded fortnightly. Also loves the smell when I mash grain as its a "homey smell" and the worms in the worm farm absolutely love the mashed grain. Yet to get a beer she cant wait to have but each one gets closer.

Latest posts

Back