Swiss Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering where I could find a commercial example of a swiss lager?
Thinking of trying some of the dry S-189 yeast, only ever used SafLager-23 and W-34/70, both of which I found ok, maybe a bit more partial to the latter.
I want to try the S-189 but have never drank a swiss lager to my knowledge, what sort of grain/hops would you use to make one?
I am doing partials (roughly 60% grain/40% extract) currently, would pilsner and vienna be the grains of choice for this type of lager?
Cheers :)

Just wondering where I could find a commercial example of a swiss lager?
Switzerland.

But seriously, I find it interesting that you want to make a swiss beer without knowing what one taste's like. Not that there is any problem with that - each to their own - its just I find I drink a beer I really like, then want to make it. :icon_cheers:

So I guess the only place I can get/try an example of an American Pale Ale is in the U.S.A?
Or the only example of a pilsner from Europe?

That's why I want to know if -
a} I have already drank one
b} there's somewhere I can buy one

Unfortunately your statement was of little value as far as helping goes, sorry to say, but I think you already knew this before you posted.

Swiss lagers are light in flavour and hops, best example would be a Hurlimann or Feldschlossen if you can find any. That S-189 comes from Hurlimann originally AFAIK and is an awesome lager yeast. Also it goes quite nicely at low ale temperatures, say 14 degrees no problems. I would go for:

4500 Pale Pilsener Malt
500 flaked maize or Polenta (Swiss and Austrian Beers have adjuncts, no Reinheitsgebot there)
500 Carapils

40 Hallertau 90 mins
30 Hallertau 20 mins
20 Hallertau 10 mins

S-189 fermented for 10 days at 14 degrees
Lager for two weeks

Polyclar.

Light cheerful pils get ya yodelling after a few pints :p

So I guess the only place I can get/try an example of an American Pale Ale is in the U.S.A?
Or the only example of a pilsner from Europe?

That's why I want to know if -
a} I have already drank one
b} there's somewhere I can buy one

Unfortunately your statement was of little value as far as helping goes, sorry to say, but I think you already knew this before you posted.

No wasn't an overly helpful reply. I may be corrected here but to my knowledge lowenbrau is Swiss hope this helps Noxious

Bull

Thanks Bribie, I will definately give it a go then. Will be able to ferment at those temps relatively easily at this time of year! ;)
Would Perle hops be a decent substitute for the Hallertau?
Also is the Carapils just for a bit of colour/sweetness?
Cheers again

Bull, I always assumed that Lowenbrau was a German brewery?

S-189 is called swiss lager yeast but that doesn't mean you only have to brew swiss lagers with it. Any type of lager is great with s-189. I do my bohemian pilsners with s-189 - not exactly true to style but turns out well. A great clean fermenting lager yeast that is a little forgiving if your temp is a bit out.

Ok well, I will probably end up doing what I'm led to believe is a German Pilsner-type brew, along these lines

2.00kg Light DME
1.50kg Pilsner
0.25kg Carapils
0.20kg Munich II

Magnum (bittering)
Tettnanger (Aroma & Dry)
IBU = ~27
EBC = ~9

S-189

Maybe thinking of adding some Melanoidin (around 2.5%), would this be a good addition for this recipe? Never used it but I only plan on adding 0.1kg.
Ended up choosing Tettnang over Hallertau (sorry Bribie :ph34r: ) as Manticle recommended them as a nice noble hop, one I haven't brewed with yet, I'm led to believe they are a bit interchangable?
Cheers all :beerbang:

Well, being Swiss myself, here's what I think:

As opposed to www.cerveza.ch, I really rate Boxer beer, especially Boxer Old.
Harder to find are beers from the BFM brewery, which are very similar to Mountain Goat.
Swiss mass-market beers include Feldslosschen and Cardinal but they're not much better than Carlton Draught IMHO.
As for where to find them in Oz, I wish I knew!

Back