Sweetener For Brigalow Apple Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan A

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a birgalow apple cider fermenting at the moment and was wanting to add some sweetener so as it it not so dry.

What should I use and how much?

Thanks
Dan

Sucrose I'm told is the go (complex sugar that doesn't ferment out), how much to add comes down to personal taste. Think how sweet you like your cider, maybe try replicate it in a beer bottle with just water and sugar. When you get that right, add the same amount of sucrose to the mix.

Not very helpful I know, but people's taste vary's so much. Whenever I've made a cider I've been happy with the level of sweetness achieved.

Good luck !

Sucrose I'm told is the go (complex sugar that doesn't ferment out),

Hey Mika, watcha drinking tonight? Sucrose will ferment out and not add sweetness. Lactose is an unfermentable sugar, but its not that sweet.

you've either got to brew sooooo strong that your yeast dies swimming in too much alcohol with sugar left to boot, or add a preservative that kills the yeast, so when you bottle it, it stays flat, because you've killed the yeast.
You could add crap, then carbonate in a keg, but you were probably after a simple sweet girly drink to keep the missus happy, not a major kegging, yeast killing rampage.
Sorry to rain on your parade.
Brew it dry, pour it in a glass, add some sugar. That's the sensible alternative.

Hey Mika, watcha drinking tonight? Sucrose will ferment out and not add sweetness. Lactose is an unfermentable sugar, but its not that sweet.

Nothing at the time, maybe that's the problem :blink:

Either I've got the names mixed up or the LHBS dude was talking crap.

I'm going to go with the later :ph34r:

Hi,

I have a birgalow apple cider fermenting at the moment and was wanting to add some sweetener so as it it not so dry.

What should I use and how much?

Thanks
Dan

hi, some of the artificial supermarket coffee sweetners are worth a try. nutrasweet is one that is o.k.

cheers alan

you've either got to brew sooooo strong that your yeast dies swimming in too much alcohol with sugar left to boot, or add a preservative that kills the yeast, so when you bottle it, it stays flat, because you've killed the yeast.
You could add crap, then carbonate in a keg, but you were probably after a simple sweet girly drink to keep the missus happy, not a major kegging, yeast killing rampage.
Sorry to rain on your parade.
Brew it dry, pour it in a glass, add some sugar. That's the sensible alternative.

Ok might jjust go weith adding sugar at the time in the glass on this occasion, who knows she may like it dry anyway, perhaps next time I can add sweetener.

Thanks
Dan

Latest posts

Back