Sweet Stout BIAB Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Im looking at brewing my first BIAB in the coming weeks... I'm trying to chasing down a really solid sweet stout recipe that I'll mash, boil and ferment in one batch... I'm looking at extracting half of the batch and creating two stout varieties... One will be a chai milk stout the second a expresso coffee stout... Am I being too ambitious?

Cheers Tim

Sounds fairly ambitious for your first. Do you have a rough idea of a recipe?

I tried a Chai Milk Stout once (for a Vic case swap) & it tasted like 9 kinds of ass.

My advice would be to brew a good stout & get that right before trying to split it & make 2 different types

Yer I think I've got a good base milk stout... The extra addition would be very similar to dry hopping.... Just boil the tea then cool and add to taste...

Go simpler. If something goes wrong you wont know what to change next time. Ive made that mistake quite a few times.

70%pale 20%flaked barley 10%roast barley is a good starting point.

The most important thing will be seeing if you can hit your volumes/temps/gravities...and then ferment cleanly.

EDIT: Although my first BIAB was a bit complex and turned out freakin awesome.

Haha maybe I just need to through myself in....

If you have a good base stout recipe, make that as is, add espesso/chai to work out amounts then do the fancy ones next time.

Unless you reckon the nine types of arse breakbeer mentioned might be like the ones scarlett johansson, beyonce knowles, allison angel, charlize theron, lucy Li, catherine-zeta jones, the woman at the local cafe, the equestrian norwegian from the vic hotel and strawberry redhead called chloe from pascoe vale's WV- league teams respectively have.

In that case you should end up with something shapely, beautiful and strong but it may be extremely odd in a pint glass.

manticle said:
If you have a good base stout recipe, make that as is, add espesso/chai to work out amounts then do the fancy ones next time.

Unless you reckon the nine types of arse breakbeer mentioned might be like the ones scarlett johansson, beyonce knowles, allison angel, charlize theron, lucy Li, catherine-zeta jones, the woman at the local cafe, the equestrian norwegian from the vic hotel and strawberry redhead called chloe from pascoe vale's WV- league teams respectively have.

In that case you should end up with something shapely, beautiful and strong but it may be extremely odd in a pint glass.
but wouldn't it be fun finding out?

I would fuckin SMASH that beer until I couldn't walk & then go hair of the dog in the morning

You had me at Scarlett johansson... Wowsers....

Back