Sweet Oatmeal Stout - Feedback and Guidance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]thinking of doing something a little different and need some guidance to ensure I am not a complete nut job about to produce crap beer....... It is a sweet stout. Is it a daft receipe, any guide on the mash temp and is US-05 the right yeast.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 l
Equipment: Stephen 40L URN - BIAB
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Amt Name [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3.00 kg Vienna Malt (7.5 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1.50 kg Galaxy Malt (3.8 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (1100.0 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]0.15 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1150.0 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]0.50 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]0.50 kg Oats (Boil 0.0 mins) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]20.00 g Brewer's Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]0.50 kg Oats (Boil 0.0 mins) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 30.5 IBUs
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Mash Profile[/SIZE]
Any idea of the best Mash profile given it is BIAB ? should I go for 68c ?
I am also undecided on the Yeast thinking US-05

In Brewing Classic Styles they suggest toasting the oats in the oven.

Book says "toast in oven at 150c until they begin to slightly colour up and give off a nutty oatmeal cookie character"

Don't do what I did and try to hurry it up under the grill and get distracted….charred black\smoked oats not so good.

G'day. What style of oats are you using and why are you adding them to the boil?

Mash temp should be fine. Also you have plenty of elements with the oatmeal and late hops, I think neutral yeast like us 05 or even Nottingham would be good for your recipe.

I toast my oats before using them as well. It gives a fantastic toasty flavour, but it is not necessary to get the smooth silky mouth feel we expect from oats.

The oats need to be mashed with the grain, or you will leave unconverted starches.

I think UK yeasts are best suited to the style. My favorite yeasts for this style are WLP 013 or the WLP/Wyeast Irish. The Irish yeast will be a bit drier though.However if you want a cleaner less malty beer stick with US 05.

Your mash temp looks right.

Personally I would not use cascade and go with uk hops (ekg, challanger, fuggles). I also would not bother with the later additions, just stick with one bittering addition and a flavour addition if you like.

I am using the oats for mouth feel mainly but like idea of the slight toasty taste so will give that a go.

In terms of Oats I am using

Uncle Tobys Oats Rolled Traditional

FYI potof4x your link in your signature block does not work

RelaxedBrewer said:
I toast my oats before using them as well. It gives a fantastic toasty flavour, but it is not necessary to get the smooth silky mouth feel we expect from oats.

The oats need to be mashed with the grain, or you will leave unconverted starches.

I think UK yeasts are best suited to the style. My favorite yeasts for this style are WLP 013 or the WLP/Wyeast Irish. The Irish yeast will be a bit drier though.However if you want a cleaner less malty beer stick with US 05.

Your mash temp looks right.

Personally I would not use cascade and go with uk hops (ekg, challanger, fuggles). I also would not bother with the later additions, just stick with one bittering addition and a flavour addition if you like.
I kept Brewers Gold for first bittering but changed to EKG for the flavour hops. I agree Casscade was a strange choice by me at the time.

I also went the US-05 as I had some I harvested and no WLPs.

I wanted to toast my oats but in the end time got away from me ... next time I like the idea

Update and question about D-Rest

Fermenting went ballistic for 3 days and now almost dead, added the tincture of cinnamon and chocolate earlier than planned directly to primary ... As I wanted to have some fermentation going when I added to reduce oxidation risk.

Almost certain a disaster in the making given fermentation almost stopped, but after another 10 hours had a taste test and actually not bad, not great but not bad. Will leave until day 12 ... Should I cold crash or is it worth doing a D-Rest ? I do it with my pils and larger but have not done a stout since I began all grain .. Is there any value in doing this

FYI photo of my IPA which I am very proud ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1400150747.692987.jpg

Was impatient so after 13 days I cold crashed, Day 14 I actually filtered (I know some ask why - but looks AMAZING and removed the cocoa that was not falling out) and crash carbonated. I am drinking a glass while I type this, very mild cinnamon almost not noticeable really, I am going to change up the tincture next time want more of the mild spice (Tincture had chocolate, Cinnamon and a few other things). Even gave the ladies a taste and they did not want too, but after a little pushing they did .. 3 out of 3 actually liked it !!

Latest posts

Back