Sweet beer, low mash temp!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently switched to AG after doing partial mashes for the last year. All my AG batches were falling short of the expected FG. Turns out my mash thermometer was out by 8 whole degrees and I was mashing in the 70s. It was probably a problem with partial mashing, but to a much lesser extent. I was expecting less sweeter beers when I went to AG but like you, it turned out the opposite.

Do you know your water chemistry as the cl : so4 ratio can play a big part in perceived bitterness / maltiness. You can actually try it out in the glass if you add super small portions. There is a spreadsheet floating around where you can input your numbers and work it out. Ez water calc or something. You also can contact your water authority for a breakdown of whats in your tap water. I know my area has a cl : so4 ratio of like 2.5:1 so beers are default malty without adding salts

Edit : smileys

Cheers Mikey . I'll do that. Quite a few variables i need to consider. #1 is all gone now. #2 has been in the keg and in the fridge a few days now. The sweetness and body have subsided quite bit now. I have a feeling the tiny bit of yeast that was still in suspension had a lot to do with the body issue.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back