Suspended fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozz

Reaction score
Stuffed up when I rehydrated my Nottingham ale year. I put it in to cold water and let it come up to room temp rather than at 30C.

Brewing a pale ale at 18.
Took two days to get airlock activity.
After 2 weeks the gravity is still 1020, and the yeast has not fully flocculated.
I don't think it is infected. Smells and tastes neutral.

Question is do I repitch some more healthy yeast, dump it, let it sit longer or ??

Cheers

Rehydration and pitching probably reduced the viable cell count by half or more. It's hard to say if underpitching became a problem without knowing batch size and OG (or the recipe). Without that information I'd be guessing, but first try warming a degree or two andf then maybe go with repitching. Warming won't give you a lot of esters that latne in fermentation. Two days to airlock activity is not itself a warning sign.

Thanks Yankinoz
40L into fermentor (45L in boil pot)
OG 1045
Has stopped at about 1022.

Pitched 2x Danstar Nottingham 11g packs initially.

All malt extract (6.4 kg liquid LME).

Haha. Took 3 ladles of krausen of an active brew I put down yesterday and into this fermentor. Not even 2 hours later and it's bubbling its head off.
Is that even possible!?
Beer is weird.....

I've been using BRY-97 a bit lately with good results.
my pitching rate has been approx. 1 gram /litre of wort.
as per danstars website 100grams per 100 litres of wort.
cheers

Yer righto manticle. You'd need a few fermentors to keep it going? but amazed how fast it went.

Latest posts

Back