Summer Saaz Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
I had a beer with summer saaz in it the other week and thought this might work well in a saison - I got lots of stonefruit flavours from it, and think it'd be great in a nice summer quencher. I've devised a very basic recipe below, and I would appreciate any feedback - I guess what I'm looking for is a spritzy, fruity but dry beer.

Pilsner 85%
Wheat malt 10%
Vienna malt 5%
(to OG 1.050)

Nelson Sauvin 12% AA - 15g @ 60 mins (19 IBU)
Summer saaz 5.8% AA - 20g @ 20 mins (7.4 IBU)
Summer saaz 5.8% AA - 15g @ 5 mins (3.3 IBU)
Summer saaz 5.8% AA - 15g @ 0 mins (0.0 IBU)
(total IBUs 29.8)

ferment with belle saison yeast (what I have on hand)

any thunks?

Let us know how it goes mate. My saisons don't use too many late hops and have wondered if a heavily late hopped saison would work. Keen to hear. Calypso works great in saison, for similar reasons, stone fruit/ pear aroma.

mje1980 said:
Let us know how it goes mate. My saisons don't use too many late hops and have wondered if a late hopped saison would work. Keen to hear. Calypso works great in saison IMHO.
Yeah, I haven't late hopped one before & I realise it'll probably mute much of what the yeast will bring, but I can see it working.

I'm currently enjoying a Pilsner - Saaz SMaSH, used Belle Saison yeast. (Was going to be a Pilsner, but that plan got shelved for the time being).

50g @ FW
25g @ 30 min
20g @ 0

39 IBUs, probably a bit high for a Saison, but it doesn't seem out of place.

Very nice, and quite spritzy.

Looks good mate... Do it.
The only hops i think clash in a saison are the "grapefruit" C hops..
Just seems to me to clash with that lovely saison yeast taste..

I was going to brew this on the weekend, but I realised that my LHBS doesn't stock summer saaz and I don't have time to order any via mail. Anyone got a suggestion for a substitute? Considering motueka, but really I've got no idea. Bit annoyed as I really like the summer saaz beers I've had.

Motueka could work for sure, just don't over do it IMHO.

Pacifica or Hersbrucker. They work well in saisons.

mje1980 said:
Motueka could work for sure, just don't over do it IMHO.
So, assuming a straight swap for the summer saaz (slight adjustments for IBU), would this be over doing it? I also note you suggested Calypso earlier, but they don't stock that either.

O'Henry said:
Pacifica or Hersbrucker. They work well in saisons.
No Pacifica either, hersbrucker sounds nice, but might not compete with the NS at all. I'm aiming for a new world type saison. I see Yob has summer, I wonder if I can manufacture an excuse to head out that way in Saturday.

It's a bit like Nelson, too much can be a bit much IMHO. I'd just go your 5 and 0 additions. Let us know how it goes

Ok, so I'm drinking this now and it's good. Tart, dry with lemony overtones and a very subtle hint of apricot. It's 3 weeks in the bottle, which I consider early for a saison - drinking really well but I will add more hops at 20 and 5 minutes next time.

Did a summer saaz/saaz 50/50 boh style pils, almost done in primary, hanging out to taste it. Too bad I'll b waiting another 6 weeks for lagering :-(

Latest posts

Back