Summer Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn the theromostat on your fridge down a touch so a thermometer (hey, pop one in your fridge now - I'll bet ya it's not 4C, more like 8C) reads 10C. No one will notice when it's this hot - still feels cold as.

Go out and get 4 short, 5L plastic water containers with taps.

Transfer your brew into these 4 containers and strategically hide them behind the sauce bottles in your fridge. Use gladwrap to seal them and a nice lager yeast. Perhaps dry hop a couple with something unusual. Add some grated ginger to one of them and some orange peel to another.

Swear to SWMBO that you have no idea what they are.

Enjoy your lagers in summer. :D

Turn the theromostat on your fridge down a touch so a thermometer (hey, pop one in your fridge now - I'll bet ya it's not 4C, more like 8C) reads 10C. No one will notice when it's this hot - still feels cold as.

Go out and get 4 short, 5L plastic water containers with taps.

Transfer your brew into these 4 containers and strategically hide them behind the sauce bottles in your fridge. Use gladwrap to seal them and a nice lager yeast. Perhaps dry hop a couple with something unusual. Add some grated ginger to one of them and some orange peel to another.

Swear to SWMBO that you have no idea what they are.

Enjoy your lagers in summer. :D

FFS :angry:

I've only done AG Saison, but if I was going to attempt it with a kit, I'd start with a wheat kit + half a kilo of malt + half a kilo of dex. And definitely use the Wyeast Saison yeast. or a similar Saison yeast. I don't think any of the dry yeasts will get you within a country mile. Mostly with kits, I'd avoid the dex and add malt only, rebalancing things by adding hops if necessary, but in this case you want all the attenuation you can get, and the dry malt won't be sufficiently fermentable, I would expect.

T.

Thanks Drtomc and others,

How about this recipe? I am still not sure about a few things

Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer (the description matched a Saison more than the other brands)
500g malt (what sort?)
800g dextrose (modern Saisons should have a high ABV)
50g Styrian Goldings (how and when?)
50g East Kent Goldings (how and when?)
A suitable Saison Wyeast (ask online HBS)
make to 23 litres

Cheers

Doogs

Looks reasonable. I'd use light dry extract. You could use dark if you wanted, it'd be a fine in-style variation.

As for the hops, I'd to a ten minute boil with the malt and the EKG, and drop in the Styrians at the last minute for aroma, then toss it into the fermenter with the rest.

You want it to ferment pretty warm if you're using the Dupont strain - i.e. the wyeast saison strain, so you could pitch even as high as 30C, but remember you do better to make sure the temperature doesn't drop much in the first few days, and be aware that the Dupont yeast, in particular, starts fast and finishes slowly, so you'll get most the way to your FG in the first week, but it could take two or three weeks to get to the end. With hop gunk, you might want to rack after the first week into secondary, and then let it do its thing for a few weeks. Remember, you want it properly fermented out before you bottle. The alternative is messy and dangerous.

T.

Looks reasonable. I'd use light dry extract. You could use dark if you wanted, it'd be a fine in-style variation.

As for the hops, I'd to a ten minute boil with the malt and the EKG, and drop in the Styrians at the last minute for aroma, then toss it into the fermenter with the rest.

You want it to ferment pretty warm if you're using the Dupont strain - i.e. the wyeast saison strain, so you could pitch even as high as 30C, but remember you do better to make sure the temperature doesn't drop much in the first few days, and be aware that the Dupont yeast, in particular, starts fast and finishes slowly, so you'll get most the way to your FG in the first week, but it could take two or three weeks to get to the end. With hop gunk, you might want to rack after the first week into secondary, and then let it do its thing for a few weeks. Remember, you want it properly fermented out before you bottle. The alternative is messy and dangerous.

T.

Thanks heaps,

Cheers Doogs

Latest posts

Back