Suitable Brewing Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just found This Purpose Built Ditty which looks quite good.... the droppable nature of it suits me well too.

the search still continues

This is exactly the unit I got from Dick Smith a few years ago.

I have been looking for another the same - it works so well.

The last time I dropped it from a great height, all that happened was that the battery got dislodged :D

Trev

perfect... so you recommend this one obviously Trev.?!!
i think it looks like a good option.. the only thing being the website only mentions one level of freight.... $25..!!!!! :eek:

i've emailed them, so we'll see what happens.?
anyone in sydney keen to get in on an order, we may be able to get a discount.

perfect... so you recommend this one obviously Trev.?!!
i think it looks like a good option.. the only thing being the website only mentions one level of freight.... $25..!!!!! :eek:

i've emailed them, so we'll see what happens.?
anyone in sydney keen to get in on an order, we may be able to get a discount.

Yep, count me in. The last el cheapo I bought is rooted, on the lookout for a decent thermometre.

Cheers - Mike

Kong, I just saw your post and am dumbfounded! Guess what I did today?

I took that damn thing I bought from Jaycar back as, I think it was Sintax said earlier in this thread, I should have done straight away. It's a long story and I did mean to post here what I learned today. Too late now but for those wanting a thermometer for mashing, just get a S/S brewer's thermometer from your LHBS. This will do you fine.

After that, depending on your equipment, you can get a MashMaster from BrissyBrew - you won't find anything near the quality.

If either of the above don't suit (i.e. maybe you want a probe-like set-up without having to drill holes then go the waterproof thermometer from Extech. They have a 10 foot cable with probe. Probably mentioned already in this thread and today were a bit less than $50.)

Sorry would have posted links and pics but it's been a long day. I'm out of here!

It's a long story and I did mean to post here what I learned today.

Uh oh - I think I know what's coming!!! :p :lol:

I would like to know what your experiences were PP as I am too looking to get a new thermometer.

I would be keen to join the group purchase if it happens - it may be possible to get quite a few sent under the one postage cost (they are quite small by the looks). $25 is a bit rich, but $5-$10 would be fine by me. They are probably all you need to get the job done (at least equivalent to the way I do it now, but digital). The drop proof bit also is a great feature - my current thermo is glass!! :eek:

I have bought mashmaster thermometers for another system of mine. They are indeed top quality, but they may be a bit cumbersome to use as a hand-held thermometer.

i also like the length of the probe at 200mm on the extech one.

KoNG

Mr. Thermokong.

Winequip has a fair range to choose from too. They've actually got a digital one in their winemaking seciton with a (wait for it) 1.6m probe!! :eek: Of course no price listed.

Here

These ones seem a little more on the sane side and list prices too which seem to be quite fair. ;)

Thermometers

Warren -

It's a long story and I did mean to post here what I learned today.

Uh oh - I think I know what's coming!!! :p :lol:

I would like to know what your experiences were PP as I am too looking to get a new thermometer.

LOL - I'm not up for any novels tonight but still reckon what I said in my midnight post above makes sense. The digital one I was referring to there for a little under $50 was this one... Thermometer with 10 foot Cable and Probe

A few AHB'ers have these and think they are great. Just had a quick look then, the one you'd need is about $55 as the accuracy on this more expensive one is +- 0.2 degrees. The $49 one is =- 1.0 degree.

Cheers
PP

I bought a small digital thermo on the weekend..at markets for $2.oo..new..about 6ins. long ,mercury tip
Instuctions very vague..
Method 1..Stick under tongue.
Method 2..stick under armpit.
Method 3..Stick you know were???????
haven't tried it yet.. :lol:
Cheers
PJ

OK, i've decided to go with this one after all the other models proposed...
i have heard back from Extech and they mentioned that they use a flat rate of $25 aust wide. So a mini Sydney Bulk Buy would make sense, i will probably grab 2 and T.D. has mentioned he will grab 2 also, MVZOOM has stated he will take 1 and i gather from trev's post he would also be in (TBC)...
anyone else in Sydney keen on a purchase.? cost should be around $33 at this stage.
I'd like to order ASAP...
Cheers
KoNG

thermometer.gif

Stainless-steel piercing tip
Drop-proof from 5-feet
Can be used for soil, food, brewing, labs, and many other uses

Specifications: Range is -58 to 536F and -50 to 280C Resolution is 0.1 from -20 to 200; 1 outside this range Accuracy is 0.4C or 1C between -20 to 100C Stem dimensions: 0.19 inch diameter and 8 inch length Unit dimensions: 9-1/2 inch overall length, 3-1/4 inch width, and 1 inch depth Weight is 1.2 ounces
Traceable Food/Waterproof/Piercing Thermo Complete Description

New piercing thermometer measures the internal temperature of stored, frozen, or prepared food. Stainless-steel probe is ideal for use in soil, brewing, food processing, refrigeration, and pharmaceutical applications. Waterproof construction allows it to be used in labs, plants, wash-down areas, and the field. Manufactured to be drop-proof from 5 feet. Eliminates the dangers inherent in breakable glass and toxic mercury thermometers.

Wide range covers 99 percent of routine temperature measurements: -58 to 536F and -50 to 280C. Resolution is 0.1 from -20 to 200; 1 outside this range. Accuracy is 0.4C or 1C between -20 to 100C. Reading is updated every second.

Traceable to NIST for accuracy
Individually serial-numbered Traceable Certificate is provided from our ISO 17025 calibration laboratory accredited by A2LA. It indicates traceability to standards provided by NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology).

Large, bright, highly readable LCD display is 1/4 inch high. Stem dimensions: 0.19 inch diameter and 8 inch length. Unit dimensions: 91/2 inch overall length, 31/4 inch width, and 1 inch depth. Weight is 1.2 ounces. Supplied silver-oxide battery and Traceable Certificate. Replacement battery Cat. No. 1039.

Kong, they look great. I have enough thermometers and don't need another one, so won't go into your buy.

My question is, does it cope well with steam? Trying to measure the mashtun temp will expose it to steam.

PoL, the text mentions "brewing, food and labs" so i hope it can handle it.... My last DSE model digital seemed to cope fine with the steam, it was its ridiculous flick out probe that caused its death.

Trev in a previous post also said he had this exact model and found it to be ideal.

OK, i have 4 buyers confirmed now....

KoNG, Trev, MVZOOM and T.D.
that brings the cost to about $34
anyone else who's keen... jump in before COB tomorrow.

last bump incase others want in....
ordering this arvo

KoNG

I'm getting there MVZOOM....
we have another on board... Andreic.. is keen
i will get the orders done this arvo.

Order done lads...
i'll keep you posted, but the sales chick mentioned they may not have that many in stock...?? :eek: (we only need 6)
which means it could be a 2 week wait...!
either way they are ordered and heading our way.

THERMOMETERS are in guys....!
i'll PM you all with my bank details for transfer.
there is a few choices for pick up, being: the big smoke on weekdays (i'm on kent street, harbour bridge end) weekends or weeknights i'm in Fairlight/Manly. Let me know if some other option is needed.
(i also got jibbed with the pricing as GST wasn't included, so we need to add another coupla $$ for each thermometer... SORRY)

Latest posts

Back