Sucrose Vs Dextrose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_purple_dragon

Reaction score
Greetings earthlings, nice to be here,

My first post and I'm a virgin brewer so be gentle.

Sucrose Vs dextrose.
I've been doing a bit of forum and article reading in the last week or so to gain a bit of basic brewing knowledge and I bought myself a Coopers Micro kit last night. While reading last week I came across a blurb that said don't use sucrose, ever, use dextrose. When I pulled my kit out of the box last nite it had a kilo of sucrose in it. Being a rookie this confused me a little.

May some of you good folk offer me some advice please.

Thanks.

:chug:

Sucrose Vs dextrose.
I've been doing a bit of forum and article reading in the last week or so to gain a bit of basic brewing knowledge and I bought myself a Coopers Micro kit last night. While reading last week I came across a blurb that said don't use sucrose, ever, use dextrose. When I pulled my kit out of the box last nite it had a kilo of sucrose in it. Being a rookie this confused me a little.

Thanks.

Yeah, avoid sucrose. They'll give you things like sucrose and 'brewing sugar' in coopers kits because its cheap and easy to get. Dont use it.

Both sucrose and dextrose will thin your beer out, making it 'watery'. They contribute alcohol, but dont add any body.

If you are just starting out, Id suggest a mix of 500g light malt extract and 500g of dextrose. The malt fills out the beer's body and gives it a more malty flavour. The dextrose boosts the alcohol up. Alternatively, get a box of Brew Enhancer 2 from Big W/Kmart. This has malt and dextrose, as well as a little maltodextrin (this helps with head retention and adds a bit of body to the beer).

They say that the sucrose will give an cidery off flavour in your beer.

Sucrose Vs dextrose.

Thanks.

Keep reading the posts on this forum mate and you'll fast discover that the directions that come with the kits make beer, but not excellent beer. I know it can be a bit confusing in the early stages, but keep reading and you'll great beer in no time.

Thanks.

Please please please throw away the yeast that comes under the lid. Go to a HBS and ask for a fermentis yeast packet. An ale strain for ale or lager strain for lagers and pilseners. I bang on about yeast here a fair bit. But IMO its more important than anything else, bar maybe sterilisation. But it makes kit beer into good beer. Try to observe correct brewing temp. There are thousands of posts here to search, but mostly people go off homebrew because of the 'homebrew taste' which is normally the supplied dry yeast under the lid.
Enjoy your new hobby :beer:

Please please please throw away the yeast that comes under the lid. Go to a HBS and ask for a fermentis yeast packet. An ale strain for ale or lager strain for lagers and pilseners. I bang on about yeast here a fair bit. But IMO its more important than anything else, bar maybe sterilisation. But it makes kit beer into good beer. Try to observe correct brewing temp. There are thousands of posts here to search, but mostly people go off homebrew because of the 'homebrew taste' which is normally the supplied dry yeast under the lid.
Enjoy your new hobby :beer:

Thanks everyone,
All advice taken on board.
First brew bubbling away, let you know how it goes.

Back