Substitute For Corn Grits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dial90

Reaction score
Hi,

I found an American recipe that I want to try. It includes an ingredient called Corn Grits. Where can you get these in Australia, or what is a substitute for them?

Regards

Gavin

I'd substitute flaked maize. Thomas Fawcet make one, and it's available at any good HBS. In Perth, Roy at TWOC had it last time I was down there (Bibra lake). Or Neil at IHBS in bayswater should be able to get it for you if bibra lake is too far to travel.

Thanks barfridge. I go to TWOC quite a lot so I'll ask Roy next time I'm there.

Can you still buy cracked corn at produce stores (chook feed) used to be dirt cheap or should that be Cheep :p

Polenta is (I'm quite sure) the same as grits. It does require a cereal mash though.

Flaked maize has been gelatinized so can go straight into the mash, 20-25% is great.

tdh

Just a word of warning about polenta. It needs to be boiled. Boiling polenta is nasty stuff. It spits and burns like hell when it lands on your hands. Instant blisters.

EDIT: Flaked corn is the go
cheers
Darren

Thanks guys. I have plenty to think about now, but I think the flaked maize might be the best solution.

Back