Styrian Goldings & Amarillo.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do it. Sometimes when I put Styrian Goldings in the kettle I get a whack of orange jump out at me. Would be a good mix I reckon. Maybe in the ratio 2:1 Goldings:Amarillo.

I'm planning a mix of Nelson Sauvin and Citra if I get the time soon.

Styrian Goldings seem to go with just about anything, they are not only in TTL but also in Stella Artois so that's chalk and cheese surely. Styria was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire South of the Alps and was, and still is a major hop producing area for Vienna and Budapest so they are a Euro hop but, being descended from Fuggles, fit in with many UK ales as well. I've even used them in a version of TDA's fly blown Belgian combined with Chinese Saaz and it turned out great (bradsbrew really liked it .... hey Brad it had Chinese in it :eek: :lol: )

I'd give it a go, with the Amarillo first (AA 8 - 11 % nothing wrong with it as a bitterer but I'd maybe give them 90 mins so the aroma isn't struggling too much with the Styrians) and the Styrians as late / dry hops.

:icon_offtopic: Where do you get this stuff Bribie? You continue to astound us. And we love it. If only I could remember half this stuff Id be happy.
Do you do financial :p

Planning an apa for tomorrow with styrians and cascade.

Wonder how the OP went with the amarillo/styrian combo in the end?

Never got spice and vanilla from Slovenian Styrians only ever deep soft ripe manderine, you guys smokers ?
Anyway I think the combo will work fine as the Amarillo will dominate and the SG will add some complexity.
Nev

I get mandarin too. Got some vanilla and apricot when I used it in an all oat beer once but never spice.

I've got a simple english pale ale on top now with Styrian, Amarillo and Cascade... it's a winner, even my mother in law enjoyed it and that's saying something!! Around 30IBU, with a mix of hops late in the boil.

Might depend on the crop of Amarillo... 2-3 years back from memory it was really passionfruity , this was 2012 I think which has been a bit bland.

manticle said:
Planning an apa for tomorrow with styrians and cascade.

I recommend this combo.

Bittering and flavour hopped with both with many small additions every 5 mins after 25 minute mark.

Dry hopped with 10g of each and an extra 10 of chinook for just that hint of woody/pine character.

Vanilla, mandarin, grapefruit and pine heaven. Went well with denny's favourite but I'll be knocking another out with 1272 this weekend.

From memory it was 3.5 kg maris, 2 kg vienna, 250 biscuit, 250 heritage crystal with a FV of 22 L, no chilled.

1272 has an impact on "hop" flavour and aroma.

I recently did my tried and true Citra APA with 1272 instead of US05 and the "hops" taste different.

Subtle esters can transmogrify hop flavours considerably.

Extra points for using transmogrify?

I have just got around to chilling a keg of ESB I have had sitting in the garage for a couple of months now with nothing but SG (mostly late and dry hopped), and every mouthful the flavour and aroma just reminds me of marmalade/dried apricots.

When I had a couple of pints on monday night I kept thinking it would go deliciously with some US hops, and this thread has inspired me to do something along these lines in the not too distant future.

Nick JD said:
1272 has an impact on "hop" flavour and aroma.

I recently did my tried and true Citra APA with 1272 instead of US05 and the "hops" taste different.

Subtle esters can transmogrify hop flavours considerably.

Extra points for using transmogrify?
1272 is different from the denny's favourite but the beer is still delicious.

This is a great hop combo with a nice nuttiness from the biscuit and vienna and just a hint of pine from the dry hopped chinook to balance the fruit.

Close to a house apa.

Latest posts

Back