Style Of The Week 7/3/07 - Russian Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think I would use saaz in a RIS, it is going to roasty and overpowering the hop anyway.
I would up the choc to equal parts with the roast (250g apiece) or do away with it and up your brown malt to 1.5kg.

I am no means an expert, and its your beer, if you like the look of it (grist) give it a go, it certainly wont be bad

Paul

Yeah, I am going to age this beer. I chose Saaz because I've got heaps of it and I just want to use it up.
I do plan to adjust the roasted malt to 10% of the grain bill after listening to Jamil's podcast.

Cheers,

Michael

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 17 RIS 'Span of the Decades'
Style: Imperial Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 31.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 94.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.47 %
0.50 kg Wheat (2.5 SRM) Grain 6.29 %
0.40 kg Caramalt (125.0 SRM) Grain 5.03 %
0.40 kg Choc Malt (1200.0 SRM) Grain 5.03 %
0.35 kg Crystal (140.0 SRM) Grain 4.40 %
0.30 kg Roast Barley (1400.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
25.00 gm Chinese Cluster [6.80 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
25.00 gm Chinese Cascade [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
25.00 gm Chinese Cascade [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
25.00 gm Chinese Cluster [6.80 %] (30 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs 1084 (Wyeast) Yeast-Ale

Out of interest this was judged a 29.75 at the Tanunda Show this week.

It has only been conditioning/aging for around 2 months.

I notice reading this thread that there is no mention of oatmeal although it seems like the mouthfeel would go well with the style.

Is there a reason why it is not required in RIS? Difficult to mash/sparge with the large grain bill?

Coming from someone who has never brewed a RIS before, my advice may not be the best. But as I am also planning a RIS in the next few weeks, I have been doing a bit of reading up. So here are my thoughts on your recipe.

Firstly I think that you need a lot more roast barley and choc malt, I think you need atleast 3 times more. As far as the hops go, I think you could find a better bittering hop, maybe por or northern brewer. With the later hops, are you considering aging this beer, you may find that the malt on the beer will overpower the hop flavour and the extended conditioning may lend the flavour to deteriate.

Hope this helps some,

cheers
Phil

My thoughts exactly. If you are brewing something like a RIS with a variety of hops that have had some issues in recent times, go with something that has a good track record. Having only just bottled mine yesterday the recipe had near on 10% roasted grains with a bit of amber and crystal thrown in.

BYB

Brewed 33 litres of a RIS on the weekend. Just managed to get the 14kg of grain in the mash tun.

14L was cubed separately. Will add 5 liters of water to make a more drinkable stout and will also provide the yeast cake for the 19L of RIS.

9.00 kg Ale Malt, (Powells) (6.0 EBC) Grain 60.00 %
3.50 kg Munich, Light (Powells) (20.0 EBC) Grain 23.33 %
0.50 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
50.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.30 %] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
100.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 45.0 IBU
50.00 gm Williamette [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
50.00 gm Williamette [4.90 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 kg Brown Sugar, Dark (98.5 EBC) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.102 SG
Estimated Color: 111.4 EBC (59.1-78.8 EBC) Color
Bitterness: 80.1 IBU (50.0-90.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 56.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 10.56 %

Really looking forward to see how this one goes. First running looked like sump oil :)

Kabooby :)

Pitched this one on Friday onto 500ml of yeast slurry. Had to clean up the fridge on Saturday and install a blowoff. Came in this morning to find the blow off bottle overflowing and another mess in the fridge.

This yeast is an animal.

I missed my OG by a fair bit @1084. Sitting at 1022 atm after 3 days and taste pretty good. Still wondering if I should add some LDME at this stage to increase the gravity slightly. I did really want to do my first 1.100 brew

Any thoughts?

Kabooby :)

Well, you've got your batch of the more drinkable stout from the brew, so why not? Go big I say!

I think with those kind of heavy roast flavours in your recipe, you won't notice any flavour contributions from extract.

I have a cube that needs to be pitched today. Problem is I was planning to use a nice big yeast cake but havn't got one ready, the big beers I have made in the past have all been on cakes.

Should I use 1 or 2 satchels of 15g english yeast?
Missed my expected OG becuase of a calculation error, didn't change my eff. for the mash. I was aiming for 1095 but ended with 1081.

Ris Sole
Imperial Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 8.250
Total Hops (g): 75.80
Original Gravity (OG): 1.081 (P): 19.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.020 (P): 5.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.96 %
Colour (SRM): 61.4 (EBC): 120.9
Bitterness (IBU): 54.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 72
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (48.48%)
2.000 kg Vienna (24.24%)
1.000 kg Roasted Barley (12.12%)
0.500 kg Chocolate, Pale (6.06%)
0.500 kg Flaked Oats (6.06%)
0.250 kg Crystal 90 (3.03%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50. g Aurora Pellet (10.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.3 g/L)
25. g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Cube Hop) (1.1 g/L) can't remember if I added this one had a couple well before the brewday started. B) Will find out when I empty the cube.

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers Brad

Have you got two sachets handy brad? If so, I'd probably use both.
Perhaps you could Double Drop with 1/2 of the cube one day and then the other 1/2 the next or the day after, particularly if its sluggish?

Perhaps you could Double Drop with 1/2 of the cube one day and then the other 1/2 the next or the day after, particularly if its sluggish?

+1 on the double drop for sure. I hit the high end of the yeasts attenuation using this method on a recent EIPA. I did my double drop after 24 hours.

+1 on the double drop for sure. I hit the high end of the yeasts attenuation using this method on a recent EIPA. I did my double drop after 24 hours.

Thanks fellas,
Hmmm perhaps I should have returned to this thread a bit earlier, I didn't even think of it at the time but yes I should have double dropped....DOH. Being an impatient ******* no-one replied to my question within 10 minutes so I just used the one satchel ( although yes Ralph I grabbed 2 intending to use both for this brew, but the fist tightened and wouldn't let me use the second :huh: ) it went nuts in the first 36 hours, overflowed all through the fermenting tucker box and has made a huge mess. But now has stalled at 1032 for the last three days. Tastes fickin fantastic though.
I am thinking of racking to another fermenter and using the second satchel to see if I can get it down further.

Thoughts??

Cheers Brad

(Shit, must type quicker! :p )
Not to worry Brad, the transfer to secondary will give it a bit of a rouse, particularly if you let a bit of fermenter trub in too and it should end up gently distributed all through the wort. Then I'd leave it for a few days and if no sign of it dropping lower, add the remaining yeast. I'm no expert at these things, but that's probably what I'd do.
I've still got mine on the drawing board, I'm now on leave for three weeks and have plenty of time up my sleeve to knock this one off.

I had a Haandbryggeriet Dark Force at Archive and was quite impressed.
Dark Force is as far as we know the only wheat stout in
the universe. This is a true wheat beer made from
mainly wheat malt and lots of dark roasted malts, our
house wheat yeast and plenty of both bittering and
aroma hops to create this unique and tasty beer.
9% alc, 65 ibu, 139 ebc color.
Serving temp: 10-14C or 50-59F
Dark Force Goes very well with sweet deserts and bitter
chocolate or just nipping to it in front of the fireplace.
Now I'm not trying to punch out a clone of it, but rather something in a similar line like this (probably more a BDS/Imperial Stout 'Mashup'
to be honest).

Impy Wheat Stout
Imperial Stout
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l
Boil Size: 29.01 l
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 24.73 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 17.16 l Est Mash Efficiency 86.9 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 37.5 %
3.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 1 43.8 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 5 1.3 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Roasted (837.3 EBC) Grain 4 6.3 %
0.40 kg Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Sugar 6 5.0 %
50.00 g Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 64.2 IBUs
25.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
40.00 g Cacao nibs (Secondary 0.0 mins) Spice 12 -
0.25 tsp Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.06 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 11 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
0.50 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 6.3 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.9 %
Bitterness: 64.2 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 82.1 EBC

Maybe could use a touch more IBU's? Thoughts?
Edit: yes I know its not really a RIS.

Well it's finally on, RdeV is coming down on Thursday on his holiday peregrinations and we are doing a RIS on the new Bribienator system. Watch out comps 2012 :p

Sh*t, no chance of banging out two cubes at RIS rates! :angry: Or is the new beta rig that good?! B)

Do you guys add yeast when you bottle your RIS's?

I was planning on 3 weeks primary / 8 weeks secondary (OG1.085, FG 1.021, wy1084)

Will be aged in the bottle at least 3 months - do you think it will be fine without any extra yeast?

tiprya, all of the FES/RISes I've done have carbonated just fine without any added yeast at bottling. RIS is the sort of beer which should benefit from six months or more of cellaring, so there's plenty of time for it to carbonate at room temperature- should be fine within the three months you have in mind and I wouldn't bother with secondary. Given the time frames involved, it won't hurt at all if there's a little bit of fermenter/ secondary trub transferred into your bottling vessel and that should insure the bottled beer for carbonation.
Hope that helps! :icon_cheers:

my RIS stalled at 1.034, added yeast at 4 weeks primary, no change, I racked it with yeast nutrient and it has dropped to 1.030s in the last week, still not enough though, looks like its going to have to sit in secondary for a while yet, its been a challenging beer to make to brew so far, but a good experience

Mine has dropped to 1.021 already (after 11 days), which is probably close to FG. I'm in no rush with this beer, just want it to turn out well. It already tastes amazing out of the fermenter, with far fewer fusels than I expected.

Thanks for the advice RdeVjun, so you would recommend just leaving it in primary for ~3 months?

No, TBH I usually aim to be getting it into final packaging after a month or so, the rest of that time in glass is probably best IMO (getting entries into bloody comps can be fiddly though...). Obviously if there's attenuation issues you don't want to dilly dally for ever, I've never had the ill fortune in getting one stuck but sometimes they're just cantankerous old farts. I would certainly consider rousing by way of transferring to secondary with a bit of trub though.

Latest posts

Back