Style Of The Week 21/6/06 - Altbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast is a key factor in a good alt flavour - not sure nottingham will cut it.

There is a dry german ale yeast - k97 I think. I've not tried it as I'm a liquid man but that's where I would head.

Having just started drinking my latest batch of Alt, I'd ease up somewhat on the Munich and up the Pils a bit. Also, you won't need that much Carafa, I'd go no more than 100 gr tops in your batch size, and personally I'd cut it down to 50 gr. You'll have more than enough colour from the Munich anyway.
Yeast is a key factor, use the appropriate liquid Alt yeast if you can get it, and ferment coolish around 15ºC.

If it's your first alt I recommend going simple. What I have fermenting ATM is almost 100% Munich (just a touch of roast wheat for colour) to a OG of 1050 and 40IBUs, mashed I think at 65 (haven't got records with me). It's a good sessionable beer with lots of flavour. When I first did it the plan was to slowly mod it with each batch but I've ended up sticking with cause it works so well. Oh and I like using 2565 wyeast kolsch

Munich is low diastatic, and not generally recommended as a 100% base malt, hopefully no starch haze in yours, I'd have tended to add a proportion of base malt or Vienna for extra conversion.

Last year I did a 14.5 lt brew that I called a Sticke Altbier. 50/50 pils and vienna, wheat, carared and chocolate. Tettnanger. OG 1.054 FG 1.004. I used US-05 I can't remember why but in my diary I wrote "This is a very wonderful beer that should be repeated." With the correct yeast next time maybe. Fond memories of it's kick and taste.

@bribie - munich should be fine for self conversion. May not be the best choice for high adjunct laden beer but 100% munich = no drama.

Bribie G said:
Munich is low diastatic, and not generally recommended as a 100% base malt, hopefully no starch haze in yours, I'd have tended to add a proportion of base malt or Vienna for extra conversion.
Really? Based on what evidence?

Weyermann recommend that you can use up to 100% Munich in a grist. Pretty sure other brands are also enzymatic enough to self-convert.
Yes, the diastatic power is lower than paler malts, but sill high enough to do the job in a reasonable chunk of time.

2565 :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

+1 on the 100% Munich I.
I Have one on tap atm and there's no shortage of character.
Conversion was no problem.
Fermented with K97.
30IBU from Hal Mit (25% of that weight at 20min - the rest at start of boil), but I imagine a straight up start of boil Magnum addition would work fine - No need for late hop flavour - let that Munich shine!
Keep it simple. Add specialties next time if you're not happy

Hmm seems I was a little late on the recipe check. Grain has been crushed and combined so only one thing to do- brew it.

Latest posts

Back