Style Of The Week 16/8/06 - Belgian Dubbel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few slight mods to my recipe... I haven't used any cara grains before so any input is welcome.
Made the dark candi sugar last night.
The jury is out regarding whether to add the raisins.... they say on the ingredients (raisins, vegetable oil), so I'm re-considering

Dubbel up (Surely I can come up with a better name than that! <_< )
May 7, 2009

Category Belgian Strong Ale
Subcategory Belgian Dubbel
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 23 liters
Volume Boiled 30 liters
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 6.75 kg.

5 kg. Australian Traditional Ale
0.5 kg. German Light Munich
0.25 kg. Weyermann CaraAroma
.250 kg. Weyermann CaraMunich I
0.25 kg. Melanoidin Malt
0.5 kg. Candi Sugar Dark
35 g. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 4.6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
17 g. Saaz (Pellets, 3.2 %AA) boiled 5 min.
100 grams raisins (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale or 500 Trappist

Your recipe looks similar to mine except I used the Amber liquid candy sugar from Craftbrewer. Add the raisins you wont be sorry!! Go 200 g raisins. Also start the ferment around 18 and then reset to 20 on day 3 then 22 onwards.

Cheers,

JJ

Your recipe looks similar to mine except I used the Amber liquid candy sugar from Craftbrewer. Add the raisins you wont be sorry!! Go 200 g raisins. Also start the ferment around 18 and then reset to 20 on day 3 then 22 onwards.

Cheers,

JJ
Cheers JJ.
Temp control is non-existant in my brewery. I brew with the seasons. (and extra icepacks in summer)

Any suggestion on what to do with the raisins re: sanitation? or just bung em in & rack on top?

yea I threw them in last lO minutes of boil. this was the best dubbel I have ever made.

I was going to make one soon

Pils Malt 2.5kg
Vienna 2 kg
Carapils .5 kg
Dark Belgian Candy Syrup (157EBC) 500mls
Hallertau 60 mins 25 IBU's worth
WY 3787 yeast

is what I came up with

got this bubbling away in the fermentor atm

15litre batch
2kg LME
500g Sugar
250g CaraAroma
100 Carafa I
100g CaraMunich III

IBU 20
20g Styrians @10minutes

Wyeast 1388

was going for a very dark sweeter beer

Smells phenomenal sofar

Recipe revised
5 kg. Australian Traditional Ale
0.5 kg. German Light Munich
0.25 kg. Weyermann CaraAroma
0.25 kg. Weyermann CaraMunich I
0.2 kg. Melanoidin Malt
0.5 kg. Candi Sugar Dark
30 g. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 4.6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
17 g. Saaz (Pellets, 3.2 %AA) boiled 5 min.
100 grams raisins (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale or WLP500 Trappist
IBU = 18.9
Just to sort out which yeast now. Might go the belgian, as I haven't used it yet.

Thought I'd revive this thread, as I am brewing a dubbel to take down to ANHC for Club Night.

I managed to get my hands on Special B, biscuit malt and dark candi sugar, but i was a little unsure as to the amounts to use, as I haven't used them before. Here's the recipe:

Batch size: 22L

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 51.85 %
1.70 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 25.19 %
0.50 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
0.30 kg Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
40.00 gm Saaz [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.45 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash 60 mins at 64C
est. OG: 1.070

Does anyone think 500g of bicuit malt is too much? And is 300g fo special B and 300g caramunich too much crystal malt?

Cheers - Snow.

Thought I'd revive this thread, as I am brewing a dubbel to take down to ANHC for Club Night.

I managed to get my hands on Special B, biscuit malt and dark candi sugar, but i was a little unsure as to the amounts to use, as I haven't used them before. Here's the recipe:

Batch size: 22L

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 51.85 %
1.70 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 25.19 %
0.50 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
0.30 kg Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
40.00 gm Saaz [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.45 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash 60 mins at 64C
est. OG: 1.070

Does anyone think 500g of bicuit malt is too much? And is 300g fo special B and 300g caramunich too much crystal malt?

Cheers - Snow.
I reckon the crystal malt should be fine. There's plenty of munich in there already, so may not need 500g of biscuit malt, but it can't hurt can it? Also, with this much crystal, you should only need about 250g of dark candi sugar to get the colour up, i expect that with the amount added you would be getting close to black rather than brown, but thats just a matter of preference.

I also like dubbels a bit stronger, and would add about 1kg of dextrose.

Thanks hazard. I added that much candi sugar, as I wanted to lighten the body a bit. Maybe I'll go half and half dark and light?

As for the biscuit malt, I thought it added a different character to the beer than Munich. Are they pretty similar?

- Snow.

Hey Snow are you adding the candi sugar during ferment??

Cheers

Thanks hazard. I added that much candi sugar, as I wanted to lighten the body a bit. Maybe I'll go half and half dark and light?

As for the biscuit malt, I thought it added a different character to the beer than Munich. Are they pretty similar?

- Snow.

Biscuit has much more flavour, and is more "nutty". Hard to describe exactly but has a very nice flavour. My fave spec malt now.

Hey Snow are you adding the candi sugar during ferment??

Cheers

I was planning to add it in the boil, for extra caramelisation. I didn't feel I needed it to go in during the ferment as my OG is only 1.070, so the yeast should be able to get through it in the one hit.

Cheers - Snow.

Biscuit has much more flavour, and is more "nutty". Hard to describe exactly but has a very nice flavour. My fave spec malt now.
Excellent! So do you think 500g is ok in my recipe?

- Snow

I recently brewed Kabooby's Belgian Dubbel (from the recipeDB)

I added 500g of candy sugar in the last 10 mins of the boil, then 500g of brown sugar 5 days into ferment. I was a bit dubious adding that much sugar in when the temperature was at 24C but I tasted it yesterday and I cant seem to detect any fusel. Did taste very strong though. Set to crash chill this morning, will dump in gelatine this evening, polyclar on Sunday and bottle on monday.

I was planning to add it in the boil, for extra caramelisation. I didn't feel I needed it to go in during the ferment as my OG is only 1.070, so the yeast should be able to get through it in the one hit.

Cheers - Snow.

Out of interest Snow what colour where you aiming for?
Beersmith gives a recommended range of 12.0-22.0 SRM, my recent one is 17.6 SRM and that looks too pale for mine (Dark Brown Sugar my arse Coles!), although it might scrub up ok once the yeast has fully flocced off.

Out of interest Snow what colour where you aiming for?
Beersmith gives a recommended range of 12.0-22.0 SRM, my recent one is 17.6 SRM and that looks too pale for mine (Dark Brown Sugar my arse Coles!), although it might scrub up ok once the yeast has fully flocced off.

My Beersmith gives an upper range for Dubbels as 14SRM. I was aiming for something darker than this, around 20-22 SRM. I know my recipe calculates around 26 SRM when I replace half the dark candi with light candi, but I suspect the dark candi isn't as dark as beersmith lists it, nor is the special B I bought from craftbrewer. Not sure about caramunich as I haven't bought it yet...

- Snow.

My Beersmith gives an upper range for Dubbels as 14SRM. I was aiming for something darker than this, around 20-22 SRM. I know my recipe calculates around 26 SRM when I replace half the dark candi with light candi, but I suspect the dark candi isn't as dark as beersmith lists it, nor is the special B I bought from craftbrewer. Not sure about caramunich as I haven't bought it yet...

- Snow.

Oops, had changed my mind from brewing a BDS to a dubbel - but hadn't adjusted the style box :rolleyes:. (or didn't ok the changes)
Hmmm, my version of Beersmith lists 18B Belgian Dubbel as a range of 10.0-17.0 SRM.
Whatever, the colour it ended up still looks a bit anaemic, so I'd be inclined to agree with your suspicions and what I was originally trying say (rather poorly).

Oops, had changed my mind from brewing a BDS to a dubbel - but hadn't adjusted the style box :rolleyes:. (or didn't ok the changes)
Hmmm, my version of Beersmith lists 18B Belgian Dubbel as a range of 10.0-17.0 SRM.
Whatever, the colour it ended up still looks a bit anaemic, so I'd be inclined to agree with your suspicions and what I was originally trying say (rather poorly).

I know what you mean Winkle........ thousands wouldn't :D

To be honest, I am less concerned with colour than getting that elusive "plumminess" in the beer, hence the emphasis on dark candi and Special B.

- S.

Back