Style Of The Week 16/01/2008 - Tripel/golden Strong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So I thought we'd start the New Year of styles :lol: with a double style, BJCP styles 18C and 18D. I may well be wrong, but it seems to me that tripels and golden strongs are much too similar to be two different styles. Anyway, it's a great time of the year to be making both these beers or drinking them. Light coloured, very drinkable beers (until you fall over at least).

What malts do you use? What kind of sugar? Hops? The important yeast question? What temps for fermentation? Can you make this style with kits? Partial recipes? Which commercial examples are your favourite?

Tell us all you know so we can all make great beer. :chug:

From BJCP.

18C. Belgian Tripel
Aroma: Complex with moderate to significant spiciness, moderate fruity esters and low alcohol and hop aromas. Generous spicy, peppery, sometimes clove-like phenols. Esters are often reminiscent of citrus fruits such as oranges, but may sometimes have a slight banana character. A low yet distinctive spicy, floral, sometimes perfumy hop character is usually found. Alcohols are soft, spicy and low in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Deep yellow to deep gold in color. Good clarity. Effervescent. Long-lasting, creamy, rocky, white head resulting in characteristic "Belgian lace" on the glass as it fades.

Flavor: Marriage of spicy, fruity and alcohol flavors supported by a soft malt character. Low to moderate phenols are peppery in character. Esters are reminiscent of citrus fruit such as orange or sometimes lemon. A low to moderate spicy hop character is usually found. Alcohols are soft, spicy, often a bit sweet and low in intensity. Bitterness is typically medium to high from a combination of hop bitterness and yeast-produced phenolics. Substantial carbonation and bitterness lends a dry finish with a moderately bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although lighter than the substantial gravity would suggest (thanks to candi sugar and high carbonation). High alcohol content adds a pleasant creaminess but little to no obvious warming sensation. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Always effervescent. Never astringent.

Overall Impression: Strongly resembles a Strong Golden Ale but slightly darker and somewhat fuller-bodied.

History: Originally developed at the Trappist monastery at Westmalle.

Comments: High in alcohol but does not taste strongly of alcohol. The best examples are sneaky, not obvious. High carbonation helps to bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish.

Ingredients: The light color and relatively light body for a beer of this strength are the result of using pilsner malt and up to 20% white candi sugar (sucrose). Noble hops or Styrian Goldings are commonly used. Belgian yeast strains are used - those that produce fruity esters, spicy phenolics and higher alcohols - often aided by slightly warmer fermentation temperatures.

Vital Statistics:OGFGIBUsSRMABV1.075 - 1.0851.010 - 1.01625 - 384.5 - 67.5 - 9%Commercial Examples: Westmalle Tripel, Chimay Cinq Cents (White), Val-Dieu Triple, St. Bernardus Tripel, Affligem Tripel, Grimbergen Tripel, La Trappe Tripel, Witkap Pater Tripel, Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale, St. Feuillien Tripel, New Belgium Trippel, Unibroue La Fin du Monde, Brooklyn Triple, Dragonmead Final Absolution

Return to top
18D. Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Aroma: Complex with significant fruity esters, moderate spiciness and low to moderate alcohol and hop aromas. Esters are reminiscent of lighter fruits such as pears, oranges or apples. Moderate spicy, peppery phenols. A lot to moderate yet distinctive perfumy, floral hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, perfumy and low-to-moderate in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Yellow to medium gold in color. Good clarity. Effervescent. Massive, long-lasting, rocky, often beady, white head resulting in characteristic "Belgian lace" on the glass as it fades.

Flavor: Marriage of fruity, spicy and alcohol flavors supported by a soft malt character. Esters are reminiscent of pears, oranges or apples. Low to moderate phenols are peppery in character. A low to moderate spicy hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, often a bit sweet and are low-to-moderate in intensity. Bitterness is typically medium to high from a combination of hop bitterness and yeast-produced phenolics. Substantial carbonation and bitterness leads to a dry finish with a low to moderately bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, although lighter than the substantial gravity would suggest (thanks to candi sugar and high carbonation). Smooth but noticeable alcohol warmth. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Always effervescent. Never astringent.

Overall Impression: A golden, complex, effervescent, strong Belgian-style ale.

History: Originally developed by the Moortgat brewery after WWII as a response to the growing popularity of Pilsner beers.

Comments: Strongly resembles a Tripel, but may be even paler, lighter-bodied and even crisper and drier. References to the devil are included in the names of many commercial examples of this style, referring to their potent alcoholic strength and as a tribute to the original example (Duvel). The best examples are complex and delicate. High carbonation helps to bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish.

Ingredients: The light color and relatively light body for a beer of this strength are the result of using pilsner malt and up to 20% white candi sugar (sucrose). Noble hops or Styrian Goldings are commonly used. Belgian yeast strains are used - those that produce fruity esters, spicy phenolics and higher alcohols - often aided by slightly warmer fermentation temperatures.

Vital Statistics:OGFGIBUsSRMABV1.070 - 1.0951.010 - 1.01625 - 354 - 67.5 - 10%Commercial Examples: Duvel, Hapkin, Lucifer, Brigand, Judas, Delirium Tremens, Dulle Teve, Avery Salvation, North Coast Pranqster, Unibroue Eau B̩nite

I may well be wrong, but it seems to me that tripels and golden strongs are much too similar to be two different styles.

My club held a few style appreciation events last year and one of them concentrated on the strong Belgians (all commercial examples, no homebrew was sampled). From the outset, the organizer stated that they felt that we probably wouldn't be able to detect a distinct difference between tripels and golden strongs since the guidelines for both are essentially identical. We were all quite surprised to find that there was a subtle difference. Tripels, from the smell to the first rush of flavour to the mid palate, to the finish and the aftertaste all tended to change. Their flavour would change from one instant to the next. All of the golden strongs tended to have a consistent presentation. What you smelled closely approximated what you tasted and that flavour didn't change over time.

I don't know if this warrants two different categories though. If you brew one and its flavour changes, enter it as a tripel. If it's smooth and consistent, enter it as a golden strong. .......And pray that the judge evaluating it knows this. ;)

I had a bit of success with a recipe I made a while back. The same batch has got a place at ANAWBS two years running. It was mostly pils malt with a dash of carapils and munich and about 15% Chinese yellow lump sugar with Fuggles and Saaz for hopping. Fermentation is the key to this style I reckon. I used Wyeast 1388 (Duvel) and open fermented the primary, pitching at 18 and letting it warm up to 23. Early on it was banana overload but it has since settled down to a nice complex Belgian nose, spicy and just a little boozy as it is around 9.5% abv. Another tip is to use some nice strong bottles (the 500ml euro stubbies are good) and aim for about 4 volumes of C02 to give you that huge pillowy Belgian head. Use fresh yeast at bottling to get consistent carbonation too, especially if the abv is high or the secondary ferment is a long time.

My next stab at this style will be a little different. I was inspired by the last issue of BYO so I'll be experimenting with oak. I'm planning a split batch of Strong Golden, probably using 1388 again, with some Chardonnay soaked oak chips added in secondary. One batch will be seeded with Bret from Orval dregs and the other will be seeded with Roselare from my in-progress Flanders Red. I'll leave them for 12 months and see what happens.

edit: mine grammar is badness

I made a partial Golden Strong Ale for the Big Brew Day with the Hills Brewers. With help from Duff with the site recipe, the following was concocted.
1.5kg Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract
2kg Pilsner Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
85g Melanoidin
0.6kg white sugar (30min)
.3kg palm sugar (10min)
40g Goldings (60min)
40g Saaz (5min)
Safbrew T-58 yeast
2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary.
8.2%
Upon bottling it smelt pretty wrong. I bottled it anyway, but for months suspected it was infected (got mixed reviews from other brewers, but most reckoned it was really good).

6 months down the track, and I'm really starting to appreciate the flavour now. Maybe cos at first I was trying to drink this by the schooner, when I should've been using those small Chimay glasses instead?
Anyway, with each bottle it's getting tastier. I've put the remainder behind the christmas tree in storage, for enjoying this coming december!
Pete

my latest one I prefer the 1388 yeast than the 1762 as this beer was a bugger to down....

Good healthy yeast is a must lots of airation too also a lower mash temp i did to make it a bit drier to help with attentuation but this beer turned out good may psot a pic when i get to taking a pic

Ps i uded 1 kg of dex and about 250 raw sugar as that was all i had but raw sugar would be fine instead of cane sugar
Evil Golden Strong ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.08228 Plato: 19.842
Anticipated EBC: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 31.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 0 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.3 5.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 317.420 4
16.7 1.25 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 386.000 0
6.7 0.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 334.126 4
3.3 0.25 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 317.420 7

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings NZ Pellet 5.70 20.2 60 min.
15.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Pellet 12.70 7.6 20 min.
20.00 g. Saaz B Pellet 7.00 3.3 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

I love the Piratt ... which has a lovely brett character as well as the usual Belgian golden strong stuff. I think that Goatherder's Orval dregs will work beautifully.

I'm currently fermenting the beer we brewed at the Victorian case swap get together (added some sugar), with nothing but a starter I grew up from Orval dregs. Its only 2L, so if its great it will be precious and if its bad it will be no loss.

For mine - Trippels have a bit more body and are bitterer. Strong goldens are bone dry falling down juice.

This one hit the tap last night and is fantastic. Real simple and the 1388 fermented up to a top of 24C. I made it for the Qld July Swap but I don't think it is going to last that long.

08-19 Golden Strong

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.75
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.91
Anticipated SRM: 3.1
Anticipated IBU: 31.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
82.8 8.90 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
17.2 1.85 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
60.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 8.00 26.9 60 min.
60.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 2.50 5.1 20 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

Hi all, I've got a question about about priming that I hope someone can answer.

I've got a golden strong in the fridge cc'ing at the moment and was wondering about the priming rates for this type of beer. There is 32 litres at about 2 deg.

It started at 1.071 and finished at 1.010 in 2 weeks at about 21 to 23 degrees over that period.

The yeast used was WY1388 and reading from their website it says "May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage"

If this beer is to be kept for a while, should I be under priming and if so, what would you recommend to be a suitable rate?

Thanks

nifty

Bump,

Can anyone me out ??

cheers

nifty

I've done a few beers with this yeast and just priming as normal worked fine for me. With that kind of beer, I'd carb fairly high, 3vols or so. Make sure you're not using really thin walled bottles if you do that but normal bottles should be ok. I'd just use a priming rate calculator (Beersmith etc). It depends on the temp rather than the FG.

I've done a few beers with this yeast and just priming as normal worked fine for me. With that kind of beer, I'd carb fairly high, 3vols or so. Make sure you're not using really thin walled bottles if you do that but normal bottles should be ok. I'd just use a priming rate calculator (Beersmith etc). It depends on the temp rather than the FG.

Ok, thanks..

I made a simple golden strong about a year ago. Simple recipe, pilsner, carapils and sugar. Bittered with EKG and fermented with 1388...it didn't turn out too well however, didn't have good temp control and underpitched quite a bit.

So now to resurrect my urges to brew belgian beers, I have made up this recipe, and hopefully it goes alright. If there is something that you would change, please let me know.

Cheers
Phil

5.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.0 %
2.49 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
35.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
23.00 gm Saaz [3.60%] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.42 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.0 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

OG 1.080
IBU 28.9

Mash at 65.

I made a simple golden strong about a year ago. Simple recipe, pilsner, carapils and sugar. Bittered with EKG and fermented with 1388...it didn't turn out too well however, didn't have good temp control and underpitched quite a bit.

So now to resurrect my urges to brew belgian beers, I have made up this recipe, and hopefully it goes alright. If there is something that you would change, please let me know.

Cheers
Phil

5.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.0 %
2.49 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
35.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
23.00 gm Saaz [3.60%] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.42 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.0 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

OG 1.080
IBU 28.9

Mash at 65.

I reckon you will be happier with the above recipe and the resultant beer.

But I'd go back and try and get the golden strong correct.
Golden Strong thoughts
Forget the carapils/carafoam.Good grade pilsner malt and sugar only.Styrian goldings @90mins and saaz@15mins to 32IBU.
Pitch a massive starter of 1388 @ 17-18c allow to rise to 28c over 7 days.Feed sugar in increments once initial fermentation slows.

Either crash chill,carb and CC for 2 weeks.Or CC for a month

Is there a "process" for adding the sugar post fermentation?? Does any sugar go into the boil?? Anyone used 3944 for a tripel??. Water adjustments? Mash temp??

My first one!!

83.3% Jw pils
5.6% Wheat
11.1% Sugaz

25 IBU

WLP 530 Abbey ale

Calc'd it should come down to 1.012, and 8.5%.

I have just dumped it onto the whole yeast cake ( save for a few slurry samples ) of a 4.6% Belgian pale ale, which was a very similar grain bill, only scaled down in gravity. Im quietly scared tomorrow morning it'll be climbing out of the fermentor, though the sugar ( 800g ) hasn't gone in yet, and will go in at the end of primary fermentation.

Just starting to try the first bottles of my first attempt at this style. Pretty happy with it...

GFC Celebratory Grand Cru
4.2kg Weyermann Premium Pils
1.5kg Weyermann Vienna Malt 5
1.0kg Flaked Maize
0.6kg JW Pilsner ...it was lying around for a bit
1.0kg Raw sugar

Mashed at 65C for 90 min

90min - 28g Brewers Gold Ger (T90) 5.0%AA
10min - 25g Saaz Czech (T90) 3.5%AA
Whirlfloc Tablet

1.0L starter - Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit

Fermented at 18-22 degrees for 3 weeks

24.0L batch
OG: 1.086
FG: 1.012
IBU: 24
Abv: 9.8%

Notes:
- Sugar added after 3 days fermentation
- I may have added a whole bottle of port before bottling
- Tempted to do some Mthod Champenoise-style disgorgement on a couple of bottles to remove yeast lees

I may have added a whole bottle of port before bottling

!!!!!, intense flavours there for sure haha. Keep us updated.

I just added my 800g sugaz. Its the 3rd day, and its at 1.030, but only 16-18c, so i boiled 800ml water, dissolved the sugaz, then tipped into the fermentor. Brought the temp up to 20-22. I had to clean up the escaping yeast this morning, even though i have 10'' of head space, so im 50/50 excited and scared at what will happen next.

The aroma of the ferment is delicious.

On a side note, the 4.6% Koelsh style ale i made for the starter beer for this tripel is a little plain. Nice, and belgiany, but no major funky belgian flavours. Not sure if its because it only fermented at 16-18c, or because the belgian yeast ( Wl 530 ) needs high alc/high temp to throw off the funky belgian flavours. IMHO, i'd rather be on the safe side though, and have a "subtle" belgian, than ferment waaaay high and end up with hot alcohol i suppose.

Will update.

Latest posts

Back