Style Of The Week 16/01/2008 - Tripel/golden Strong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, manticle. Don't rush that ferment though. Extra time there is not really a problem (except those like me with ADHD) and I think is crucial.

I am bad with ageing beer once bottled but very patient with it in ferment. Happy to keep ferment low the whole time if it gives a better result - just basing my schedule around readings of what they do at the brewery. I'd prefer this one not to come out overladen with phenolics - more subtle background.

No I think that raising the temp sounds like a very good idea. Just wasn't sure of the timings.

Have you listened to the Jamil show golden strong episode? they have some good tips

Again basing it on reading so any suggestions welcome. BLAM says 120 hours for primary ferment, starting at 16-18 and pushing to 25-29. 29 is too high for me so 25 would be my max point. No indication of what timing for the actual steps except that high krausen coincides with around 22 degrees.

I know BLAM isn't the only reference for all things Belgian so I'm very interested to know other brewers' successful, recommended schedules with this yeast.

Just saw your reply felten - no haven't listened to that. Might see if I can dig it up.

cheers too to Stuster for your comments.

Nice recipe Manticle - a simple grain-bill I think is key to a good Belgian Strong/Tripel.

A few bits of advice I can give (based on WYeast 3787 FWIW)...
  1. Pitch BIG, and aerate well - 3 to 5 Ltr starter. Treat it like you would treat a lager - yeast health is crucial to get through all that sugar without excessive production of fusils
  2. Any dextrose/candi sugar should be added after majority primary fermenation complete (after 4-5 days). No point over-stressing the yeast with extra sugar in the boil.
  3. Start fermentation lowish (18-20deg), and raise progressively over a few days (23-25degrees).
  4. LONG conditioning period, slowly reducing temperature (not crash-chilling) to avoid shocking the yeast into hibernation.

Cheers for that. Having tried your tripel and finding no unpleasant flavours, I will do as you suggest.

Hey guys, a few questions.

Im drinking my first tripel now, and while im very happy with it, im keen to know a few things.

1.) Bitterness. I went 25 IBU in a 1.076 tripel. It seems a little low on bitterness, almost sweet, what do you guys normally go??

2.) Carbo. I went with4g/litre, which is my usual bitter carbo. I know its less than a tripel should be, but i rarely bottle and hate the idea of bottle bombs, should i go higher next time??

Pretty happy with my first attempt, though next time i might try the ardennes yeast, or add a touch of biccie malt.

Hi MJE. Not that I've brewed a million happy tripels but my recent attempt (OK could do with some improvement) aimed for mid to high 30s. My benchmark is westmalle and that sits around 39 from memory. I think the alc and malt in a tripel need balancing with some extra IBU.

Hi MJE. Not that I've brewed a million happy tripels but when my recent attempt (OK could do with some improvement) aimed for mid to high 30s. My benchmark is westmalle and that sits around 39 from memory. I think the alc and malt need balancng with some extra IBU.

Thanks mate. I'll up it next time. Do you add any other spec malts other than wheat??. I just went pils, sugaz, and wheat.

Pils, biscuit and sugar for me although next time I'd up the malt and lower the sugar level a bit.

The biscuit is almost an automatic addition for me in most brews - only one ocassion it hasn't worked (aussie bitter with rice that had other problems)

Hi MJE,
My 1st tripel I was happy with had pils,wheat,biscuit & some melanoidin EKG to 35 IBu and Ardennes yeast then 0.5 kg sugar after 3 days turned out bloody nice ( I think!!). I can sling you some Ardenne yeast if you're keen ( longy of sludge not the best storage method but should do) or a stubbie and you can taste it and see what you reckon?

Just brewed my first tripel using Wyeast 3787. OG of 1078, pitched at 18 C and allowed to slowly rise to 22 over a week. added 1.5 kg of sugar after a week and a half. Then allowed to raise to 25 C max. Let sit for another week. Finished at 1006, 92% A.Attenuation. WOW

Used Pils, wheat, aromatic and vienna malt. Bittered with Perle and a 10 min addition of styrian.

Got a keg and 18 small stubbies (which I bulk primed) out of it. Polyclar, gelatine and filtered the keg, it is BRIGHT!

Now comes the hard part, trying to leave it long enough to smooth out a bit. Im going camping on sat for a week, so that will help a bit!!

Cheers

Hi MJE,
My 1st tripel I was happy with had pils,wheat,biscuit & some melanoidin EKG to 35 IBu and Ardennes yeast then 0.5 kg sugar after 3 days turned out bloody nice ( I think!!). I can sling you some Ardenne yeast if you're keen ( longy of sludge not the best storage method but should do) or a stubbie and you can taste it and see what you reckon?

Cheers mate, that'd be cool, i can swap you for some WLP 530 Abbey ale slurry??. If you let me know when you're planning to pick up bulk by grain ( when it arrives ) i can meet you there, kill 2 birds with one stone hehe.

Biscuit is my fave spec malt ever, its definately going in the next one.

Mine has definately smoothed out. Glad i have some more bottles left!!

I've got a tripel (or golden ale maybe) in the fermentor.

tripel

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.800
Total Hops (g): 66.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.075 (P): 18.2
Colour (SRM): 4.7 (EBC): 9.3
Bitterness (IBU): 35.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.700 kg Pilsner (73.08%)
1.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (12.82%)
0.800 kg Cane Sugar (10.26%) >> to be added incrementally as the fermentation slows
0.300 kg Munich I (3.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
18.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 70 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
28.0 g Perle Pellet (7% Alpha) @ 70 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
10.0 g Hallertau Aroma Pellet (8.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g Tettnanger Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67C for 180 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with

I put about 18-20L of 1073sg wort in the cube, but I had collected extra wort from the last sparge which I boiled separately to step up the yeast. so overall I had ~19L of 1073 and 4L of 1035 and I will be adding the 800g of cane sugar ( will probably make it into homemade candy sugar before adding). not sure what the initial gravity is meant to be with the calculations but it should in the right range for a tripel.

the ferment is looking nice and healthy and kicked off quite quickly. I cultured up some chimay yeast and pitched it to a belgian pale, and then top cropped that for this tripel.

just thought I'd post this as i'm getting pretty excited, but I have a feeling I'll have to wait a while to taste it. Hopefully the pale will keep me occupied while the tripel can age.

Just bottled my duvel clone today. Most promising, least phenolic/hot alc belgian I've so far produced (although I have hopes for an ageing dubbel with 1388).

Just bottled my duvel clone today. Most promising, least phenolic/hot alc belgian I've so far produced (although I have hopes for an ageing dubbel with 1388).

Duvel would have to be one of the nicest beers I've tried.
I'll be attempting a clone down the track and interested in your recipe and how this turns out.

I'll be attempting a clone down the track and interested in your recipe and how this turns out.

+1 i need another belgian soon... Duvel clone sounds good :icon_drool2:

I'm going to need some other beer drinker/brewer's opinions on it but this has been in the bottle a few weeks and is clear and nicely carbed. First few bottles suggested a little bit of aging was needed and I reckon this will improve with time. However cracked one today and the flavours have integrated a lot more. Warm alc has settled a bit, hints of bubblegum, sweetness but with a dry finish. Not phenolic or out of balance as most of my attempts at belgian styles have been.

I need to buy a duvel to compare (bet they're loads different) but my corner shop has been unable to get it in for a while.

I think the recipe is a good one - didn't do any ramping of temps although as people may know my temp control does not at this point involve fridges or tempmates - it involves me either brewing at the right time of year or using cold water baths/dressing gowns as needed. Works well most of the time but I'm aiming to change it with either a home built fermentation cupboard or the addition of a small fridge for hops and yeast storage (freeing up my current brew fridge for fermentation).

Got a bit of a kick to this one too.

Latest posts

Back