Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presuming glassware is properly clean, etc., look at bookending that 69 rest with a 5 minute 55 deg rest and a 10 minute 72 rest.

manticle said:
Presuming glassware is properly clean, etc., look at bookending that 69 rest with a 5 minute 55 deg rest and a 10 minute 72 rest.

In that order, too!

Back into from a few months off. Want to try a few different things, so I'm going to do a mild but I'm going to mash just the Maris otter, at a low mash temp, then, at mash out, I'll add the crystal ( I'm adding over 10% by weight ), and the pale choc will be cold steeped overnight and go into the cube. I've brewed a fair few milds, but I always like to play around a bit. I prefer them on the drier side, hence the low mash temp, but I'm trying to see if just giving the crystal malts a short steep gives a bit more ooomph to the crystal character. I'm sure someone here steeps their crystal and adds it to the cube. Kind of the same thing. Same with the cold steep. I normally add the dark malts at mash out for smoother roastiness, this is just taking it one step further for me.

81.4% Mo
13.6% Simpsons medium crystal
5.1% pale choc

Willamette @ 60
62-60, 72-15, 76-5

20ibu

Irish or London ale 3.

So you're not boiling the choc malt liquor Mark? Just straight to cube?

That was the plan mate. However, I started steeping the choc then decided an impromptu brewday was in order. I ended up throwing the steeping choc into the bag for a few minutes before I lifted it. The crystal I just did as planned, last 10minutes of the mash out, then lifted the bag.

I did completely forget any brewing salts though haha. Was all Maris otter so shouldn't be a big deal, just annoying.

See how it turns out in a few weeks I spose.

Impromptu brew days always feature some kind of **** up for me

Back