Style Of The Week 1/10/08 - Belgian Blond Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So this week I thought we could talk about a Belgian style that's perfect for a warm summer evening (although it's best to be careful how many of them you drain ;) ), Belgian Blond Ale. A bit like a tripel but not as strong, it's a good time to brew this now with the warm weather around.

Links
The Jamil Show On Belgian Blonds
TDA's thread on Leffe Blonde

So what are your experiences with this style? Grains? Hops? Which yeast to use? Any spices/peels to add or keep it simple? What temperature did you do your fermentation at? Can this style be done by partial mashers? Kit based brewers? Any commercial examples you like?

Tell us all you know so we can brew better beer. :beer:

From the BJCP site. Linky.

18A. Belgian Blond Ale

Aroma: Light earthy or spicy hop nose, along with a lightly sweet Pils malt character. Shows a subtle yeast character that may include spicy phenolics, perfumy or honey-like alcohol, or yeasty, fruity esters (commonly orange-like or lemony). Light sweetness that may have a slightly sugar-like character. Subtle yet complex.

Appearance: Light to deep gold color. Generally very clear. Large, dense, and creamy white to off-white head. Good head retention with Belgian lace.

Flavor: Smooth, light to moderate Pils malt sweetness initially, but finishes medium-dry to dry with some smooth alcohol becoming evident in the aftertaste. Medium hop and alcohol bitterness to balance. Light hop flavor, can be spicy or earthy. Very soft yeast character (esters and alcohols, which are sometimes perfumy or orange/lemon-like). Light spicy phenolics optional. Some lightly caramelized sugar or honey-like sweetness on palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high to high carbonation, can give mouth-filling bubbly sensation. Medium body. Light to moderate alcohol warmth, but smooth. Can be somewhat creamy.

Overall Impression: A moderate-strength golden ale that has a subtle Belgian complexity, slightly sweet flavor, and dry finish.

Comments: Similar strength as a dubbel, similar character as a Belgian Strong Golden Ale or Tripel, although a bit sweeter and not as bitter. Often has an almost lager-like character, which gives it a cleaner profile in comparison to the other styles. Belgians use the term Blond, while the French spell it Blonde. Most commercial examples are in the 6.5 7% ABV range. Many Trappist table beers (singles or Enkels) are called Blond but these are not representative of this style.

History: Relatively recent development to further appeal to European Pils drinkers, becoming more popular as it is widely marketed and distributed.

Ingredients: Belgian Pils malt, aromatic malts, sugar, Belgian yeast strains that produce complex alcohol, phenolics and perfumy esters, noble, Styrian Goldings or East Kent Goldings hops. No spices are traditionally used, although the ingredients and fermentation by-products may give an impression of spicing (often reminiscent of oranges or lemons).
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.062 1.075
IBUs: 15 30 FG: 1.008 1.018
SRM: 4 7 ABV: 6 7.5%

Commercial Examples: Leffe Blond, Affligem Blond, La Trappe (Koningshoeven) Blond, Grimbergen Blond, Val-Dieu Blond, Straffe Hendrik Blonde, Brugse Zot, Pater Lieven Blond Abbey Ale, Troubadour Blond Ale

A little while back I did a 50% Pils, 50% Wheat (typical Heffeweizen recipe) and used WY1274 (Belgian Yeast) to ferment it with. Not a bad little drop, but think I needed to ferment warmer to get a bit more estery action going. I held it at 18-20C for the whole ferment. I really think the start cool and ramp it up theory is the way to attack any Belgian style.

Every time I think of brewing a Belgian blond I usually brew a tripel instead. Might give it a go this summer.

I have to say that I generally brew the bigger belgians and not that often.. but, strangely, have been giving some thought over the last few weeks to a 1060 ish "easy drinkin'" Belgian beer.
I will use mainly Pils malt with a bit of munich and about 10% of the grist will be sugar, Belgian by preference but otherwise white cane sugar. I will whack the IBU right in the centre but be a little naughty and use a tad more aroma hop than I should (EKG all the way). I have pretty much decided on 3522 La Chouffe yeast pitched at about 16C and set my incubator to top temp around 22C, or around 24 in the fermentor itself.
I want it finish dry but still want malt background so I will probably mash around 66C.
All in all a very "average" beer you could say.

K

Would wyeast 3787 work ok in this style or is it preferred for higher gravity worts?

Would wyeast 3787 work ok in this style or is it preferred for higher gravity worts?
You've been into the craftbrewer freebies (Thankyou Ian)too eh?

.... to a 1060 ish "easy drinkin'" Belgian beer.
I will use mainly Pils malt with a bit of munich and about 10% of the grist will be sugar......

My use of sugar has been limited, but I'm not a huge fan of it, the beer I did use sugar (though it was Palm) in tasted fine, but caused some really bad hangovers.
For a beer with an OG of 1060 (not terribly big) and with that kinda malt bill, I would have thought a 66deg Mash temp would have made it quite dry enough. What kinda FG are you looking for ?

Got 100mls of the stuff to play with!

Cheers Ian, i'll save a bottle of whatever is made with it.

Just the verry thought of going over 1.040 gives me shivers.......

It should work very well in this style. It's not only for big beers.

(and 1060 is not a really big beer, butters. :p )

Sweet, thanks Stuster. Got some planning to do now.

I have to say that I generally brew the bigger belgians and not that often.. but, strangely, have been giving some thought over the last few weeks to a 1060 ish "easy drinkin'" Belgian beer.
I will use mainly Pils malt with a bit of munich and about 10% of the grist will be sugar, Belgian by preference but otherwise white cane sugar. I will whack the IBU right in the centre but be a little naughty and use a tad more aroma hop than I should (EKG all the way). I have pretty much decided on 3522 La Chouffe yeast pitched at about 16C and set my incubator to top temp around 22C, or around 24 in the fermentor itself.
I want it finish dry but still want malt background so I will probably mash around 66C.
All in all a very "average" beer you could say.

K
see Dave for the Unibroue yeast, young Doktor!

no affiliation (*will this save me from moderation?)

I was lucky enough to get my brother to transport 300ml of this 4 hours west.

Anyways I am trying to get a extract recipe for this using and having trouble with the EBC. Here is the Malt and grainbill so far for a 19 litre batch SG of 1065.

2.10 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Late boil 5 min
1 Kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) 60 min Boil
300 gr Carapils (5.0 EBC) Steep 30 min
200 gr Carahell (27.0 EBC) Steep 30 min
200 gr Cane sugar Trying to get some dryness and keep EBC down

So far the EBC is about 3 points to high for this style
Suggestions from here welcomed as I have an attempt at a Belgan strong dark ale in tha fermenter ATM an I am loving the smell and therefore would like to try another belgan a bit mor easy drinking.

Taste the 3738 freebie before pitching, I brewed a Belgium Strong ale yesterday, decantered off the excess liquid, smelt it then pitched, but then tasted the liquid. Harsh, astringent, burn't plastic taste!
Not happy as I'm sure there is something wrong with the yeast, which may have come from the sterile medical sample jars I used for storage. Certainly wasn't the wort which was very nice prior to pitching. Time will tell.
Sorry for wandering off topic.
Ac

shivers of excitment?

same here :D

if it aint over 1040 it aint worth doing, 1050 were getting there, 1060 is closer the money, 1080 and beyond is where the good stuff is. Anyway Belgians are supposed to be big and hairy, not whimpy beers!

Back