Stupid Keg Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adric Hunter

Reaction score
Here's yet another post that I'm sure will make me look like an idiot. :unsure: How long will beer in a keg last once it has been opened, can you just pour yourself a glass as you want one over several months or however long it takes you to finish the keg or must you finish it with in a week or so? :blink:

Depends on the beer really. The beer will be fine over a long period of time as far as gas etc goes but if the beer is a very light style which does not benefit from a little bit of age it may go "over the hill" while its just sitting there waiting to be drunk.

So no you dont have to drink it within a week or so, just within the time frame that the beer allows. Its like wine, some are made as paper bag wines.... buy it and drink it before it gets out of the bag...and some are built to last half a century.

Hope this helps.

Pok

P.S.... I like to live by the moto "There is no stupid questions, just stupid answers"

so what your saying is that the life of a beer is the same if its in a keg as it would be if its bottled, and it dosn't matter if your drinking steadily out of the keg or not, that has no effect on the life of the beer?

so what your saying is that the life of a beer is the same if its in a keg as it would be if its bottled, and it dosn't matter if your drinking steadily out of the keg or not, that has no effect on the life of the beer?

Kind of. the life of a beer is generally a little longer in the keg due to being cool and gassed (in most cases). ive found through my couple of kegs ive emptied, that after a month or so, my beer (just basic k&bits) are still fine in the keg.

After about a month the beer here starts to lose a bit of flavour and taste a bit 'mushy'. But it's still beer and generally better than 'just drinkable'. I think some oxidation is common course in the transfer, even if you do purge the keg with CO2 before hand. I think this is what will degrade your beerf the most. Filtering or using Gelatin woukld drop the yeast out and maybe make it more stable, guess it depends on how far you're willing to go.

Depends on the beer really. The beer will be fine over a long period of time as far as gas etc goes but if the beer is a very light style which does not benefit from a little bit of age it may go "over the hill" while its just sitting there waiting to be drunk.

So no you dont have to drink it within a week or so, just within the time frame that the beer allows. Its like wine, some are made as paper bag wines.... buy it and drink it before it gets out of the bag...and some are built to last half a century.

Hope this helps.

Pok

P.S.... I like to live by the moto "There is no stupid questions, just stupid answers"
I prefer "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people" :lol:

I have found generally that Wheats are better off young than old. My rule of thumb is the bigger the beer, the older it gets.

Festa.

I LIKE MY LIFE PLAN 'KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID' BEER'S ARE FINE UNTIL THEY TASTE ORDINARY OR RUN OUT, SEE SIMPLE(NEVER HAD ONE TASTE ORDINARY) :icon_drool2:

I LIKE MY LIFE PLAN 'KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID' BEER'S ARE FINE UNTIL THEY TASTE ORDINARY OR RUN OUT, SEE SIMPLE(NEVER HAD ONE TASTE ORDINARY) :icon_drool2:

"You take high road, I'll take the low road, give me the simple life..."

:blink:

My current brew is just a tooheys kit and has been in the keg for about 4months now with no ill effects that I can tell.

Back