Stuck or done?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Hi

Brewed an imperial stout a couple of weeks ago. This recipe:

21litre batch

6.3kg LME light
700g Crystal wheat
500g Crystal 60L
350g Chocolate malt
330g Roasted Barley

Northern brewer 75g 45 min
Fuggles 50g 25 min
Fuggles 45g 5 min

WLP028 (yeast cake from prev brew)

Here's my problem. OG came out at 1.126. I'm assuming its wrong and due to unmixed extract. Brewed at 20C for two weeks now. But SG is steady on 1.040. Seems high, unless my OG was in fact right. Advice? Swirl, stir, wake up yeast? Or watch for a bit longer and bottle?

I'm a fairly new brewer with only one fermenter and I bottle everything. Would love your advice.

21 litres + all your ingredients should come out to around 1.096 if I'm not mistaken.

WLP028 has an attenuation of 70-75%, or 1.029 - 1.024 FG.

Are you sure you're reading the hydrometer properly?

slash22000 said:
21 litres + all your ingredients should come out to around 1.096 if I'm not mistaken. WLP028 has an attenuation of 70-75%, or 1.029 - 1.024 FG. Are you sure you're reading the hydrometer properly?
Thanks. Yeah all my programs put the SG at around 1.100 too and the FG at about 1.030. Yeah no mistakes in reading the hydro. It's strange. But then again, it is a big beer... Been at 1.040 since the krausen dropped three days ago. Maybe I should leave it a week or so and see what happens.

Also, my previous brew using the same extract and ingredients came out with the OG and FG exactly on target for what BrewMate told me it would be. So no funny extract and no misreadings there... :blink:

What's the attenuation percentage and alcohol tolerance of that yeast?
What fg were you expecting? It's a very big beer with a fair whack of unfermentables.

manticle said:
What's the attenuation percentage and alcohol tolerance of that yeast?
What fg were you expecting? It's a very big beer with a fair whack of unfermentables.
Attenuation 70-75%. Alcohol tolerance: medium-high (9-12%). I was expecting a FG of something closer to 1.030. It does have a lot of unfermentables. This is why I'm confused as to whether or not it might be in fact done or not. It actually tastes fine. A little too bitter actually, I would expect too sweet with a FG of 1.040. but I plan on bottling for a year so I expect it to settle. Thanks for the reply manticle. Would love to know your advice on what to do.

Latest posts

Back