Stuck Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a tool available, at least at my local HBS. A disk with slots cut around the perimeter and a handle at 90deg. The disk sits in the fermenter lid, vanes in the fermenter lid align with the slots and the disk is turned easily using the handle for leverage. Contact Les at Caloundra Home Brew (07) 5492 8499

I just tip it upside down and put some soapy water in the gap and let it sit for a while. In one case I went as far as using some aeresol silicon lubricant then cleaned it off immediately after.

MAH said:
Rod said:
Use a leather belt

wrap it round the lid and pull it to you , similar to when you tighten the belt on your pants
[post="92717"][/post]​

But what's going to hold up my pants while I do this? It could be a very embarassing situation ....... pants around my ankles and fermenter between my legs. Not sure if this methods for me, maybe for you younger blokes this sort of things all the rage.

Cheers
MAH
[post="92731"][/post]​

I hear that if you wet the insides of your thighs then you can get a better grip on the fermenter.

Doc said:
I've used that method before successfully. Until the time it broke the raised ridge off and almost smashed my kneecap :(

Just don't get desperate and try it with a pasta spoon :ph34r:

I did...here is a picture worth a thousand words:
spoondamage.JPG

Did I mention it hurt? :eek:

PZ.

Right, here is the three methods ColesMyer use to get something done-

1- yell at it
2- demote it
3- cut its wages

If that won't work, then I don't know what will :)

Or you convert to one (or two) of these.

No stuck lids here. :rolleyes:

Warren -

DSC00315.jpg

Do you have to supply sunglasses for your Yeasties Warren?

Now there's a thought. B) B)

I generally stick them in a fermentation cupboard or the fridge. They don't see too much of the light of day. :D

That pic's a bit misleading. Those two actually aren't fermenting. I'd just shaken the living daylights out of them to aerate them a bit. IIRC They're actually unpitched.

Warren -

YEP
i use the wood leaver meathod i have a length of 19mmx42mmx900mm with and piece of 19mmx42mm that fits between the lid notches and is screwed to the main leaver at around 200mm from the end and use my foot against the tap to tighten and loosen also i remove the seal every brew and lube it after it has been cleand just before laying down a brew with a light smear of vass and it works a treat .
dont have that problem anymore.

DELBOY :D

Using your foot against a tap is a dangerous thing to do. Those threads arent very strong, and the chances of snapping the tap off and losing the whole brew are quite high.

I wouldn't do it personally, and I cringe just thinking about it.

hey Fingerlickin_B, you've still got the old Olinda fermenters!
I've inherited about 3 of them and none seem to seal properly anymore anyway.

ive got 2x 30Ls and a 60L Olinda
now used to store excess rainwater for the garden
tried to get new o-rings but the brewshop said they couldn't get em in anymore
found a rubber shop that makes custom sized o-rings, but bit the bullet
bought 3 new 30s with bigger clear lids, pretty happy with them

Yeah, just fitted a new o-ring to that one on the weekend.

Bought it for a project about 3 weeks ago, but got shelved as it wasn't suitable...then relised it fit the fermenter :D

PZ.

YEP
your right about the tap snapping off but then if you vass up the seal you dont have to give it a trucker wrench to tighten just a small tweak.
as it slips easy.
so if you are not rough with your gear this works very well the art is not to be heavy handed .and if you need to rip it down that tight then 2 things are definatly required .
1 either a new soft seal or you fermenter rim is distorted so a new fermentor?

easy realy treat them like a women "gently and they stay tight for years"

LOL :lol:
delboy

Screwtop said:
There is a tool available, at least at my local HBS. A disk with slots cut around the perimeter and a handle at 90deg. The disk sits in the fermenter lid, vanes in the fermenter lid align with the slots and the disk is turned easily using the handle for leverage. Contact Les at Caloundra Home Brew (07) 5492 8499
[post="92848"][/post]​

I used a length of rope looped at one end (In the same manner as a belt) for years, until one day the fermenter lid really stuck & the lid had to be smashed with a ball pein hammer. For 15 big ones I got Screwtop's gadget (below).

:beer:

Screwtop said:
[post="92848"][/post]​

I used a length of rope looped at one end (In the same manner as a belt) for years, until one day the fermenter lid really stuck & the lid had to be smashed with a ball pein hammer. For 15 big ones I got Screwtop's gadget (below).

warrenlw63 said:
Now there's a thought. B) B)

I generally stick them in a fermentation cupboard or the fridge. They don't see too much of the light of day. :D

That pic's a bit misleading. Those two actually aren't fermenting. I'd just shaken the living daylights out of them to aerate them a bit. IIRC They're actually unpitched.

Warren -
[post="92901"][/post]​

Wouldn't mind using glass, what volume are they Warren?

Back