Stuck Fermenter Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

WSB
Reaction score
I've managed to tighten the lid on a screwtop fermenter too tight.

Anyone got an idea how to get it off? :unsure: My thumb's red raw from trying to force it. I have it soaking in really hot water in the hope that the lid will expand a bit and loosen the seal. So far.. nothing

WD40 might be my last resort :wacko:

Fermenter TIGHT between the legs. Get a hammer and BIG wide blade screwdriver and tap the lid hard in the direction that it unscrews to break the seal.
Cheers
Steve

If it has fins on the lid, get a length of anything like a piece of timber to put diagonally across the lid and use that to twist the lid off whilst bracing the rest of the fermenter between your legs.

Beers,
Doc

Or get somebody else to hold the fermenter while you attack the lid, I've found this a successful method in the past.

Another method is to whip up a larger version of an oil filter remover with a rubber strap or even a belt to get even contact around the lid perimeter, then lever off.

Ive had some I thought were stuck, but if you can get that first few mm moving you should be ok.

Absolute worst case, cut off lid, and use with gladwrap... last resort though... ;)

The screwdriver and a few serious whacks with the hammer worked.

I had visions of limping into the emergency ward with a screwdriver handle protruding from my thigh but.

The screwdriver and a few serious whacks with the hammer worked.

I had visions of limping into the emergency ward with a screwdriver handle protruding from my thigh but.

Good to hear :lol:

Edit. Actually the last time it happened I stuck the fermenter on its side against the back step outside with my foot on top and then used the hammer n screwdriver. Thats probably safer if it happens again. Now I dont screw them on tight.

Had a stuck fermenter lid. Got it off with a hammer and god knows what. Converted me to to gladwrap. haven't turned back.
Cheers

Another method is to whip up a larger version of an oil filter remover with a rubber strap or even a belt to get even contact around the lid perimeter, then lever off.

+1 Anything you can think of to distribute the force as evenly as possible around the thread is the trick. Putting all the force in one spot often just makes the thread bite harder.

If not too far gone the hammer/blunt object or timber in the middle tricks will work too.

plug ur airlock so it wont leak and fill your lid with water from the kettle(boiling of course), the heat will make the plastic lid expand

hey all
first post here but i have something to add
on my 4th brew now hopefully i havnt screwed the lid on to hard
the first one took about an hour with 2 people wish i had a photo of me and my mate siiting on the bathroom floor with veins popping out of our heads and tears streaming down our face. I am slowly learning just how hard (or not hard) it needs to be screwed on.
you can do it
thanks for all the info to everyone

I have had it a couple times, i just wrap my arms around it pull the bottom one way and the top the other way.
Takes a couple of times to get it you have too flex the guns.

I have a couple of laps of gaffer tape (the good stuff: Nashua) wrapped around one of mine. Extra length is run off to form a handle/rope to wrap around my hand.

I've snapped the fins with wood and screwdrivers, so the tape ended up being my only option and it works a treat.

Back