Stuck ball locks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggetSA

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got an issue with the ball locks on my corny kegs - even though they're clean and the o rings are all good and lubricated, the ball locks need some persuasion (as in the hammer type) to get them back off. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just replace them? They're from brewcraft and only 3-4 years old and seem to work fine, no gas leaks etc and they seem to be fine when I inspect them.

Thanks

Springs could be worn, I'd replace them, you can get a full seal kit including poppets and springs etc for $20 off eBay or try Homebrew shops for them

Bit confused about which part of your setup you are talking about. Do you mean the keg posts are hard to unscrew? Or your quick disconnects are difficult to disconnect?

schtev said:
Bit confused about which part of your setup you are talking about. Do you mean the keg posts are hard to unscrew? Or your quick disconnects are difficult to disconnect?
i should probably learn to ask this stuff but I got the impression that they were getting stuck on as in the posts arnt shutting off after disconnecting!

The quick disconnects are nearly impossible to get back off, they go on fine. The springs look okay but I think you're right Lethaldog, its probably easiest to just replace them.

Just asking the obvious, but do you have the correct quick connect to the liquid and gas posts?

If you connect the liquid disconnect to the gas post and vice versa they can jam. (Apparently :ph34r: )

NuggetSA said:
The quick disconnects are nearly impossible to get back off, they go on fine. The springs look okay but I think you're right Lethaldog, its probably easiest to just replace them.
yeah ok that's not what I thought you meant, as above are you putting them on right? Also is it only when they are in use cos it could just be a bit of your sticky goodness refusing to let go, I get this sometimes as well but it's not generally an issue with the equipment itself, how cold is your fridge? They can get a bit stuck even getting them on in an icy cold fridge!

O-Rings need lubricating, use a good food grade lube.
If someone has been using the wrong lube they can swell and get very difficult to move.
Given that you have the posts and disconnects the right way round (Grey/Gas/Groove - Black/Bare/Beer) and they used to be OK I would replace the O-Rings and get some good lubricant.
KP315C1.jpg
Gas (Grooved) on left, beer (Bare) on right
Mark

Do you mean it is hard lifting the locking ring to get it off?
I find a tiny bit of beer gets in there with the balls and locks it all up. A squirt of starsan beforehand helps loosen it up.

New o-rings and some better lubricant solved it, thanks everyone :super:

Back