Strawberry Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
I purchasd my first strawberry plant the other day, mainly for just using in desserts, etc. but then I had a thought...wonder what a strawberry flavoured beer would taste like??
Has anyone used strawberries in their brewing ingredients? I'm not into AG yet so a kit and extract recipe is what I'm looking for. Suggestions...
Cheers! :icon_cheers:

From memory bconnery make strawbeery. I think he mentioned it recently in winkles thread about blueberry wit. A search for strawbeery might show the thread.

You'd probably be best off with a neutral hopped type of beer. Wheat or perhaps blonde (?) might be good for a base.

The coopers Blonde kit is a good base.
Have a search for the fruit in beers thread, or raspberry ales.
From what I've heard, you need a lot of strawberries, compared to raspberries.

I do indeed make a strawberry beer. You need a lot of them. I use 2.5kgs absolute minimum, preferably more like 4.
You don't get a strong flavour, more an addition to the wheat.
I made it as a trial early on in my homebrewing days and it has been so popular with the family I've made one every year...

Extract wise go with a wheat beer is my preference, but coopers blonde could also work well.
If wheat then a kit or else just plain wheat extract.
I prefer noble hops like hallertau or tettnanger for these beers.
Yeast, k97 or wb06, fermented a little cooler. I prefer not to have the strong wheat flavours coming through.

Strawberries in secondary for a week, then rack to leave behind more of the bits and bottle/keg.

There is more info in the thread mentioned before.

There is no place for fruit in beer :p

There is no place for fruit in beer

Come on now, surely the BIAB boys need something to drink while they're busy sewing ;)

BURNT.

Continuing the burnination; if it's a kit beer you may as well throw fruit in it.

I'd better be careful... don't want to wake up one day enclosed in a big swiss voile bag floating out to sea

Well it seems I'm going to have to get some more plants!! I'm more leaning towards a Blonde instead of wheat and I wonder if I should use us05??

There is no place for fruit in beer :p
<_< nah....
hoegaarden.jpg

I thought they only used the rind? doesn't count :)

Fine then... I'll say it!

Hoegaarden is a girls' beer.

So is lambic kriek, lambic framboise, etc.

A brew pub down the road from me has a strawberry blonde and coffee bean dark ale on tap

Tastes nice!

Yeah, sure its a girls beer. I happen to like girls.

Everyone knows the guys brewing strong Belgians are getting laid more than the ones making fluffy wheat beers :)

Everyone knows the guys brewing strong Belgians are getting laid more than the ones making fluffy wheat beers :)
Hmm.. we had better shut up... the off topic Pillow Pants will be by any minute...

Back