Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get up early and do the brew. Try not to drink whilst you are brewing due to handling hot water. Maybe thats just me but beer tastes even better when you are also in the process of making it.

Have you got a pulley type system to help with hanging the bag?

I used to have a still (for distilling water not alcohol, as that would be illegal here in oz :unsure: ) and I know what you mean about beer tasting better while you are brewing/stilling, but I will try to stay sober.

As for the pulley system, I was going to use SWMBO, if I can get away with it.

Sorry to bump this but all no chill requires is to siphon the wort into a sanitized cube/jerry can whilst hot and allow it to cool in a sealed sanitized environment before fermentation yeah?

I don't want to dredge up the "Chill V. No Chill" argument as at the moment I have no choice but to no chill, cash flow is fucked.

Thanks and looking forward to my 1st AG.

Scott

Pretty much got it in one. Squeeze air out when finished draining, cap on, leave on its side for 10 or so mintes. That's also a good way to check if the lid sealed properly.

I need to ask what the 850g pilsner is for? I'd just go all maris unless you don't have enough.

Pils will work fine - just not really necessary and won't contribute a noticeable flavour as far as I can see.

Pils will work fine - just not really necessary and won't contribute a noticeable flavour as far as I can see.

May not 'add' flavour wise but can contribute to body perception, especially if your after a dry "guiness" type stout. Infact its what it doesn't contribute which makes it favourable.

cheers

May not 'add' flavour wise but can contribute to body perception, especially if your after a dry "guiness" type stout. Infact its what it doesn't contribute which makes it favourable.

cheers

I agree - I've used pilsner in a stout before too. Just that, at first glance, that proportion looks too small.

Happy to be wrong - when I've used it it's usually been around 50:50 pils/ale type.

I need to ask what the 850g pilsner is for? I'd just go all maris unless you don't have enough.

This is a bastardization of the Three Shades of Stout recipe in the database.

As it is my first AG, I am still unsure of the grains and their contribution to the end product.

The recipe called for 850g Pills, or the 47L equivalent (I am only doing 20L).

If I am happy with this result, I will try all MO next time.

Thanks Manticle

I agree - I've used pilsner in a stout before too. Just that, at first glance, that proportion looks too small.

Happy to be wrong - when I've used it it's usually been around 50:50 pils/ale type.
This one looks more 45: 35: 20 ale/pils/specs interesting

3 shades has had so many recommendations that if that's what it calls for, I would listen to that rather than me.

I was just curious.

Yeah that's why I decided on 3 shades, lots of good ratings. Doesn't mean I wont try an all MO one later, as I do love by Stouts.

Back