Stout Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I am looking forward to firing up the NASA this weekend for the first time in a while, as I dont get a chance to brew as often as I would like I want to make sure it is a good end result, therefore here is the Stout recipe I am going to use for critique. As always, a few questions too.

4.5K Pale Malt
0.25K Crystal
0.25K Roast Barley
0.25K Choc Malt
0.25K rolled oats (uncle tobys quick oats)

I am going to use the WLP004 Irish Stout Yeast and 40g of Northern Brewer hops at 60 minutes.

I have studied this style over the last few days and have read much about head retention and body and the effect that the rolled oats can have on this. I have factored that in as I like a Guinness like head and that fits this brew I think.
Just one thing, should I put the oats in with the mash right from the start?

Any comments or pointers would be much appreciated.

This is going to be my QLD Xmas case contribution. :ph34r:

Yep, throw the oats in the with the mash.
All my Oat brews (Home Brand Rolled Oats) give a nice thick dense head when kegged.

Beers,
Doc

any other hop additions or is this the only one at 60min.
i would be addding a 15 min and a 0 addition for some aroma.

cheers
big d

recipe looks good, awesome infact. You could go 500g of crystal if you wanted. Stouts can have anywhere between no crystal and a fair amount and either way work great. Could go 500g of the oats also, i chuck quick oats in with the mash at the start.
Anyway looks like you have done your research and have settled on a great looking recipe.

happy brewing
jayse

big d said:
any other hop additions or is this the only one at 60min.
i would be addding a 15 min and a 0 addition for some aroma.

cheers
big d
[post="78846"][/post]​
I am stuck between adding some more hops at 15 and 0 but I am not sure that it will make much difference in a stout and have read that overly hoppy stouts dont really work or fit the style. I am prepared to be corrected on this point though.

Another thing I forgot to ask in my first post was should I throw in 250 - 500g of Lactose at 15 minutes? Would this be overly sweet? :unsure:

Lactose isn't very sweet, it adds more body than sweetness. I don't think it's really needed unless you want your stout to be extra thick.

Your recipe looks good to me.

Brizbrew said:
[Another thing I forgot to ask in my first post was should I throw in 250 - 500g of Lactose at 15 minutes? Would this be overly sweet? :unsure:
[post="78852"][/post]​

NNNNOOOOOO

(Just my opinion, but that looks like a fine recipe WITHOUT any lactose)

A big NO lactose from me too.
Some late hops won't go amiss as long as you don't over do them. Some Fuggles or Goldings (say 28gr) at 15mins.

Beers,
Doc

I guess I will leave the Lactose out then!

So there we have it the recipe is complete and ready to rock, I hope you all enjoy it in your Xmas case. :beerbang:

Brizbrew said:

So there we have it the recipe is complete and ready to rock, I hope you all enjoy it in your Xmas case. :beerbang:
[post="79021"][/post]​

So what you finalising with?

As mentioned above - I'd be adding 26 gms of fuggles at 15 mins & upping your 0ats to 500 gms against your original recipe.

Ross said:
Brizbrew said:

[post="79021"][/post]​

So what you finalising with?

As mentioned above - I'd be adding 26 gms of fuggles at 15 mins & upping your 0ats to 500 gms against your original recipe.
[post="79033"][/post]​
I am going to hold off the hops as I really dont think this stout would be better with more hops, what is the general feeling on this?

I will take your advice on the oats and up to 500g though. Do they need to go through the mill? :unsure:

Brizbrew said:
Ross said:
Brizbrew said:
I

[post="79033"][/post]​
I am going to hold off the hops as I really dont think this stout would be better with more hops, what is the general feeling on this?

I will take your advice on the oats and up to 500g though. Do they need to go through the mill? :unsure:
[post="79045"][/post]​

Brizbrew, I'd never do a stout without some flavour hops & fuggles go great in a stout - but it's your beer :D ...
The flaked oats don't need milling - just straight into the mash...

definately up the oats to 500g it will be as smooth as silk, looking forward to that one on xmas day with my plum pudding yummy. And no don't put them through your mill.

Cheers
Andrew

I will give the hop situation some thought and look in to it a bit more, I am not a big fan of hoppy stouts, a little can go a long way in my book.

Do you reckon 18C would be the go for fermentation? I have a fridge for fermenting now :beerbang:

Brizbrew said:
I will give the hop situation some thought and look in to it a bit more, I am not a big fan of hoppy stouts, a little can go a long way in my book.

Do you reckon 18C would be the go for fermentation? I have a fridge for fermenting now :beerbang:
[post="79073"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

I like to bitter high & brew warm (22c) for a stout...

P.S. 28 gms at 15 mins won't make it "hoppy"...

Ross said:
Brizbrew said:

Do you reckon 18C would be the go for fermentation? I have a fridge for fermenting now
[post="79073"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

I like to bitter high & brew warm (22c) for a stout...

P.S. 28 gms at 15 mins won't make it "hoppy"...
[post="79098"][/post]​

Geez Ross, let the poor bloke brew it without the finishing hops! :lol: :lol:

He'll know for next time if nothing else...

Best of luck with it Brizbrew :)

Shawn.

Yep, I will try this grain bill as per your recipe Brizbrew, except I will use goldings hops and the Wyeast Irish starter I have in the fridge. 20c-22c.
Looks good to me. :rolleyes:

I picked up the grain to brew this stout and got home to find that the crystal was missing! :rolleyes: This means I have:

5kg pale malt
250g choc malt
250g roast barley

How critical to this do you reckon the crystal was and should I hold off brewing until next weekend when I can get some :ph34r:

Regarding hops I bought two 50g packs, 1 each of fuggles and northern brewer, it was all I could get today as the shop was pretty much sold out of all else. Whaddya reckon the distribution of these hops should be? :p

I did buy the WLP004 Irish ale yeast.

Back