Stout Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brizbrew said:
I picked up the grain to brew this stout and got home to find that the crystal was missing! :rolleyes: This means I have:

5kg pale malt
250g choc malt
250g roast barley

How critical to this do you reckon the crystal was and should I hold off brewing until next weekend when I can get some

Regarding hops I bought two 50g packs, 1 each of fuggles and northern brewer, it was all I could get today as the shop was pretty much sold out of all else. Whaddya reckon the distribution of these hops should be? :p

I did buy the WLP004 Irish ale yeast.
[post="79245"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

Crystal is not needed, I wouldn't worry. As for the hops, they're your call :p :D

my preference is to drop the Roast barley down to 150 - i think 250 is too much.
hops - i love em - and have made a hoppy stout - very very nice.

If u cant get any crystal - you could use soem pale malt - around 250 gms and toss it in the oven at around 220-250C for 30 mins on a flat oven tray and turn it at 15mins.

Hope this helps

Agree with GMK.

If by chance all your malt is crushed and all together and don't have any spare pale malt lying around. Just sift out about 250g of the lightest looking bit of the crush and follow GMK's instructions.

Otherwise don't sweat on on it Briz. It'll just be a nicely dry "dry stout" :beerbang:

Warren -

I don't think 250 of roast barley is too much in a stout, but I guess it would be if you wanted to restrain the roast flavour a little.

WRT rolling your own crystal, I'm wondering if wetting it a little before sticking it in the oven might be beneficial?

Ok, as I have 5Kg of pale malt, a bit more than I actually need I will try putting 250g in the oven now ready for the morning.

I will let you know how it goes. :blink:

I wieghed up 250g of the pale malt and placed it on a flat baking tray found my way in to the kitchen and looked for the oven, oh there it is! :p

The malt started pop pop popping right away and baked a darker shade, just like crystal should be I guess.

The problem came when I took it out. I donned oven gloves and poured the contents of the tray into a plastic zip loc type bag and it just melted through the bottom :huh: straight on to the work surface below, I have scrape it together and checked for bits of burnt on plastic but can't see any, I am wondering if I should use it or not. :ph34r:

The course of true brewing never runs smooth. :rolleyes:

I am sorry Brizbrew - but i am laughing -

If it is any consolation - i have had worst brewing disasters.

Ok I got up at 7am this morning to start this brew, it would of been earlier but I needed an extra hour or two after a session on the Beez Neez last night, that is a good drop!
We are now half an hour in to the mash, all has gone smoothly so far, looks and smells good.
I have high hopes for this stout, I dont want to provide anything dodgy for the Xmas case. :lol:
I will let you know how the day goes.

mmm just realised that I have the wrong batch size in promash. The batch size was left at my default 25l but I collected 45l into the kettle to allow for trub, boiloff and the unknown, from this I hope to collect 30l to my fermenter and eventually 25l to bottle for the xmas case.
I guess it will now have a lower IBU and % alc. Promash tells me the IBU will now actually be 29.6 if I add 25g of fuggle at 30 and 15g of Northern Brewer at 15. I have already added 35g of northern brewer at 60.
It has now been boiling for 15 minutes, decisions decisions..... :rolleyes:

Brizbrew said:
mmm just realised that I have the wrong batch size in promash. The batch size was left at my default 25l but I collected 45l into the kettle to allow for trub, boiloff and the unknown, from this I hope to collect 30l to my fermenter and eventually 25l to bottle for the xmas case.
I guess it will now have a lower IBU and % alc. Promash tells me the IBU will now actually be 29.6 if I add 25g of fuggle at 30 and 15g of Northern Brewer at 15. I have already added 35g of northern brewer at 60.
It has now been boiling for 15 minutes, decisions decisions..... :rolleyes:
[post="79326"][/post]​

Brizbrew, I'd be finishing with the Fuggles, keep the NB for bittering... whoops, sorry, my lips are sealed :D ...

It was all going so well......I wondered what was going to bite me on the bum.

I spent the last week planning this brew but made the critical mistake of not putting the batch size in promash up to 45l, the reason I collected so much was last time I had a mojor boilover and lost 12l during the boil, this time no boilover because I regulated the NASA better.

Anyway, the fermenter is now cooling in the fridge before I pitch the yeast, I had to drop the kids to the cinema for 1 o'clock so no time for the IC to be effective.

I have collected 30l which is currently sitting at 40C in the fridge, I will have to pitch the yeast sometime this evening.

I just measured the OG and it is 1035 so not that bad considering. The IBU's are around 40 after some last minute juggling in promash with the hops...After all the talk of hops I ended up doing

35g of northern brewer at 60
25g of fuggles at 30
20g of northern brewer at 15
30g of fuggles at 10

This should keep Ross happy eh? :D

I might have to drink this one myself and make time for another brew next weekend for the Xmas case. :unsure: :ph34r:

I enjoyed the day all the same, and it was great to fire the system up.

Quite an eventful day, hey Brizbew...

i see you went from one extreme to the other on the hops - :D

Ross said:

[post="79377"][/post]​

Yes it has been a hell of a day. :huh:

I have only just pitched the yeast on to this beer as the temperature only came down by a few degrees an hour, I hope it will be ok.

I am going to have to be more careful in my planning next time. :party:

Brizbrew said:
Ross said:

[post="79377"][/post]​

Yes it has been a hell of a day. :huh:

I have only just pitched the yeast on to this beer as the temperature only came down by a few degrees an hour, I hope it will be ok.

I am going to have to be more careful in my planning next time. :party:
[post="79404"][/post]​
I pitched the yeast on to this stout last night around 8 oclock when it was at 26C, the temp was still dropping but I could not wait any longer as I had things to sort and had to go out.
I checked the fridge this morning and the fermenter was showing 8C so I turned the fridge off and went to work, this evening it has risen to 16C but no activity in airlock other than it seems to be sucking in rather than blowing out air???

I pitched the White labs Irish WLP004 yeast straight from the tube, had no time to do a starter so I expect a bit of a lag, more of a lag now it has spent 24 hrs almost freezing!
What should I expect to see happen next?

At least I know I can brew lagers now anyway. :super:

After two weeks in primary I racked to cube today for a secondary ferment.

Couple of questions, what temp should I aim for during this stage and for how long before bottling bearing in mind this will be my Xmas case contribution?

It tastes OK after sampling and was 1008 on the hydrometer, should be a nice drop for my secong AG attempt. :beerbang:

Brizbrew said:
After two weeks in primary I racked to cube today for a secondary ferment.

Couple of questions, what temp should I aim for during this stage and for how long before bottling bearing in mind this will be my Xmas case contribution?

It tastes OK after sampling and was 1008 on the hydrometer, should be a nice drop for my secong AG attempt. :beerbang:
[post="81857"][/post]​

Temp not important Brizbrew - just shove into CC as soon as all activity ceases & then bottle in a week or 2...

Thought I'de post this query into a like-minded thread

Whats everyone's take on this Irish Stout Recipe? I made a request for a reasonably strong, creamy stout, and this is what I was given...

IRISH STOUT

1.5kg Amber Malt (coopers can)
1.5kg light dry malt
500gm Wheat (dry)
350gms Roast barley
150gms Chocolate
Irish moss
15ml Liquorice extract
20gm Target Hops
25gms Goldings
25gms Goldings
US56 yeast

Sound OK? I reckon made up to 24Lt or so...and wont take more than a couple of glasses to be getting jiggy wit it..lol :party:

i would use aliquid yeast like the wyeast 1084 or 1028 or the scottish or white labs 004 drop the liquorice extract as i dont think in an irish stout it has pace as you really want it to be dry

Latest posts

Back