Stout Recipe, Comments Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatherder

Fancyman of Cornwood
Reaction score
I'm planning an oatmeal stout this weekend. It's my first go at a stout so I'm looking for some comments on the recipe. I'm looking for a pronounced smooth chocolate character to compliment the roast. Do you think I've got the balance between the choc and the RB right? Also, can I expect any sparge problems using 8% oats? I mash fairly thin and batch sparge.

76% Maris Otter
8% Rolled Oats
8% Roast Barley
4% Pale Chocolate Malt (500EBC)
4% English Dark Crystal (350EBC)
EKG at 60min to 30 IBUs
A dash of sodium bicarbonate to get the mash pH right
Mash at 67 degrees, expected OG 1.048
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Good stuff Goat! A man after me own heart. Love that pale choc. :beerbang:

Don't change a thing recipe looks tops! In fact if you don't like it I'll drink it for you. B)

Are you planning a 40 degee (b-glucan) rest for the oats?

Warren -

Looks good goathearder

I just started fermenting a Stout the other day using the London Ale III for the first time. The bugger is going totally nuts, air lock keep blowing all it's water out the top.

Good stuff Goat! A man after me own heart. Love that pale choc. :beerbang:

Don't change a thing recipe looks tops! In fact if you don't like it I'll drink it for you. B)

Are you planning a 40 degee (b-glucan) rest for the oats?

Warren -

Cheers for the comments.

I wasn't planning a 40 degree rest. I read the article on oatmeal in the last BYO. I got the impression that I shouldn't need it if I get "instant" oats from the supermarket. Do you think it's required?

That level of roasted grains should give you a cocoa flavor. As it ages the roast character will smooth out.

I find the cocoa flavor isn't quite chocolate though. If its chocolate your after try adding some !

Cheers for the comments.

I wasn't planning a 40 degree rest. I read the article on oatmeal in the last BYO. I got the impression that I shouldn't need it if I get "instant" oats from the supermarket. Do you think it's required?

At 8% of your grain load Goat I'd give it some serious consideration. Oats can really glue up a mash supposedly. Others may care to comment? :unsure:

Warren -

Here are my suggestions - i think the RB is too high.
Personally i would go for 2-3 % RB and 9-10% Choc.

U can do a protien rest at 50-55C for 10-15mins prior to mashing at 67C

100gms of wheat and some carapils 50-100gms will be good too.

Hope this helps.

Gday

I Don't know how much of a help it is but I brewed a Oatmeal Stout the other week and used the Instant Oats without a 40 dregree rest and didn't seem to have any problems.

I only used 320g's and didn't have any sparge problems at all. Just my experience with it. If the only reason you want to do the rest is to stop any sparge problems then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm looking for a pronounced smooth chocolate character to compliment the roast. Do you think I've got the balance between the choc and the RB right?

My thoughts only - I am with GMK - I would increase the choc and drop the RB back if you are after a smoother more chocolate flavour.

From memory the last oatmeal stout I made only had 3-4% RB.

I aslo used instant oats (300g) and didn't have any sparging issues.

Mmmmm stout............. :chug:

Cheers,

Craig

I made this a while back and over did the black patent - but it's still quiet nice - very very strong coffee notes

I'd suggest for the roast barley stick between 3-7% and maybe bump up the choc a little

The oats shouldn't be an issue

Cheers

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 26.00 Wort Size (L): 26.00
Total Grain (Kg): 6.40
Anticipated IBU: 63.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Actual OG: 1.063
Actual FG: 1.011

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.4 0.60 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046
6.3 0.40 kg. Wheat, Torrified US 1.036
76.6 4.90 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038
6.2 0.40 kg. Black Patent Malt Britain 1.025
1.6 0.10 kg. Chocolate Malt Britain 1.034

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Pacific Gem Pellet 14.00 31.0 60 min.
35.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 19.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 8.5 30 min.
15.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 4.1 15 min.

Just make sure you use Quick Oats and there will be no need for a rest. Just mash as normal.

Steve

Thanks for the tips guys. I reckon I'll drop back the RB and up the choc.

Latest posts

Back