Stout FG 1026 bit high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbaricbohds

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I put down a stout on 11/06 recipe as bellow, its now been sitting on an FG of 1026 for 7 days, brewmate suggests a FG of 1016.
I pitched the no chill wort onto the yeast of a English bitter I brewed previously so yeast population shouldn't of been a problem, i'm thinking maybe a lack of oxygen?

BIAB Recipe 20L
4kg BB Ale
.7kg Dark Crystal
.5kg Flaked Barley
.4kg Chocolate
.4kg Roasted Barley
.15kg Black malt

Hops Pride of Ringwood 9.8% alpha
30g 50min

Mash
~65 average (68C dow in dropped to 63C)
Mash out
77C
Sparged with ~75 C water 10L

OG 1069

No chill

Yeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Fermented at 18 C in my temperature controlled fridge

I'm thinking maybe I should transfer to keg but don't carb up and maybe the introduction of a little oxygen due to the splashing will set of secondary fermentation?
Any help would be much appreciated cheers.

Note I was pretty intoxicated when I made this brew so my notes are pretty vague lol but been brewing for a little while so think everything went pretty smoothly...though results maybe suggest not lol :beerbang:

For me, 10 points over is a lot. Have you tasted it?

In the first instance, I'm thinking you should try and raise it to 20c and give it a gentle agitation to wake the yeast up.

I had this problem recently when I made a pumpkin ale using Cal Ale II (1272) yeast. Finished at 1.020 and wasn't very nice. I was about to chuck it after a week of raising the temp to 20c with no movement. I remember someone mentioning "Double-Dropping" yeast to achieve the desired FG. I added Cal Ale (1056) yeast and it finished at 1.010 in three days. Turned out to be the best pumpkin ale I've ever made.

So perhaps find a high attenuating english yeast, pitch and it will probably drop the 10 points you're after. Hell even US05 or 1056 would do the job if that's all you've got on hand. Your scottish ale yeast has probably already provided most of the character you're after.

Thanks jacknohe sorry for the late reply I've been offline for a few days at home.

Unfortunately I have no dried yeast at hand but that can soon be fixed, I might grab some us05 and sprinkle that in as its the cheapest option, should I worry about stirring it in or is it best left floating to avoid infections?

It tastes pretty good to me already so really don't want to stuff this one up, i'm really keen to get it in the keg and pour that first pint :beerbang:

You could always add a little sugar/dextrose as well (if I remember correctly, as I haven't done this myself) as it will help kickstart & rouse the yeast. As for what amount, I'm not too sure and someone with some experience with this may be able to chip in. I would think that ~100g for a ~20L batch would be sufficient though.

Keep in mind that this will also increase the alcohol content.

I thought I replied to this. In my experience lots of roast malt in the grist can contribute to a hgher FG. My stouts always finish high although I also mash high and prefer full bodied.

Do a fast ferment test to see if it has anywhere else to go but it might be all you will get.

Depending on how long it was at 68 for and how long it was at 63 for, a higher temp would contribute. If you want a dryer stout you'd start at 63 and keep it there.

Personally i think your recipe has way too much crystal (also contributing to high FG) and too much roast malt. I doubt you'll get ten points.

My big stouts finish at around 1.025. Makes them full (they start at around 1.076 though). Don't mess with it, when yeast is done it is done.

Latest posts

Back