Stout fermentation stopped?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great process you're taking mate.

I'm doing the same with my super high gravity attempt.

Different starting conditions but getting lower is the task.

Will watch with interest.

Definitely follow MHB's guidance.... every time.

Sooooo.....

There's good news and bad news...

Good News: Fermentation started again and after 18ish hrs was down to 1.018.
Bad News: Another 18 hours later, still 1.018.

My guess is because I know nothing about rehydrating yeast and only left the yeast in water for approx 5 minutes before pitching, it seems through some very quick research that it was not enough to get enough viable yeast going. Will definitely research and at least rehydrate my yeast for all brews from now on.

However, after looking through my brewing notes, I have found that I have brewed this recipe before (I've made a few stouts over the year) and had the same problem, but due to being a big noob I just went with it. I also bulk primed for the first time, but only 120g dex for the 23L instead of 180g, which might be why I didnt have any bottle bombs.

The proposed plan:
Leave undisturbed for another 2 days and check gravity again. If there's movement, all well and good and will continue as normal. If no movement, will cold crash for 3-5 days, then bulk prime with 120g dex and bottle, condition and consume.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments/alternate ideas? All are greatly appreciated :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Pierce.

For anyone following this thread, here's the latest update. Gravity checked again today and stalled at 1.018. Tasted the hydro sample and got noticeable diacetyl. I have increased the temp to 22oC and will hold for a couple of days to try and reduce it before crashing.

Anyone got any tips on what to do now if the above is no good? I'm tempted to tip this one and write it off as a lesson on yeast.

Final update:
Cold crashed for about a week. Diacetyl still there but not nearly as bad as it was. Got my first ever kegs all set up and tap installed so couldn't wait for another brew. Drinkable but not great. Will tip it once the next brew is ready. More aeration and better yeast care required. Lesson learnt.

Edit: spelling.

Chap said:
Final update:
Cold crashed for about a week. Diacetyl still there but not nearly as bad as it was. Got my first ever kegs all set up and tap installed so couldn't wait for another brew. Drinkable but not great. Will tip it once the next brew is ready. More aeration and better yeast care required. Lesson learnt.
It's a stout though right?
Surely it wants a bit of age on it before you decide to dump.
I don't like to drink my darker beers for 6 weeks.

And a final gravity of 1.018 is pretty much spot-on for most styles of stout except Dry.

Gravity.jpg

Latest posts

Back