Stout And Port Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse

Reaction score
G'day,

I had an imperial stout at Mt Tambourine Brewery (no affiation etc) and it was delicious....not strictly an imerial stout by the guidelines but it was outstanding

It taste like a combonation of Stout, port, coffee and chocolate.
I have had a hint of the same thing in only one other stout.

The only thing that has me stumped is how do you get the port / sherry like flavours in stouts?
Is it purely age?
DO some yeast do it more than others?
Lots of certain grains and age?

Cheers

BTW any recipes on imperial stouts that you have made with this flavour would be great.

simply reduice a bottle of port in a saucepan on the stove to a thick syrup, by that stage the alcoholl in the port should have cooked out, so it shouldn't affect you fermentation.

simply reduice a bottle of port in a saucepan on the stove to a thick syrup, by that stage the alcoholl in the port should have cooked out, so it shouldn't affect you fermentation.

What???

You get the port flavours from the strength, high FG and oxidisation over time.

Oxidation of melanoidins lead to the port/sherry type flavours. So plenty of munich, vienna or melanoidin malt and/or decoct, and age well.

I wouldn't go purposefully introducing extra oxygen to speed up oxidation, it'll go out of control and probably leave you with cardboard.

Alcohol does not cook out. Whats starts there, will still be there after reduction.

Cheers,
Jake

I remember Dr Kruzelnicki saying it on the radio once. :)

Same process as distillation, heat to around 72C (I think), all alcohol will evaporate off before water.

You should probably google distillation of alcohol, Jake, and have a litte read. Don't believe everything you hear on the radio.... :D

Take what Dr Karl says with a grain of salt- especially when he's talking about physics

Maybe I remembered the good Dr's words wrong, he might have said "alcohol does not burn off completely".
I believe this is what you may have heard/read. The context was likely along the lines of cooking a christmas pudding - where people tend to assume that the alcohol is all cooked out, though it usually isn't. Reducing some alcohol on the stove will eventually drive off all the alcohol.

In any event, it's a pretty messed up way to add port-like flavours to stout.

Age is certainly the better option - the coopers vintage take on that characteristic after a few years.

Would adding a variety of the darker spec malts such as caraaroma, dark crystal etc enhance that?

Would adding a variety of the darker spec malts such as caraaroma, dark crystal etc enhance that?

From what I have gleaned from some of the old hands around the place, you can run the risk of increasing astringency by overdoing dark spec malts & roasts if aging?

Jesse,

The Port/Sherry flavours in Mt Tamborines Stout have come about with age, it certainly didn't have them in its earlier days.
I likened it to ripe figs when I had it the other weekend, it's a bloody beautiful drop :)

cheers Ross

Jesse,

The Port/Sherry flavours in Mt Tamborines Stout have come about with age, it certainly didn't have them in its earlier days.
I likened it to ripe figs when I had it the other weekend, it's a bloody beautiful drop :)

cheers Ross

Ripe figs you say.....

And here i am watching the birds eat my figs cos i cant be arsed making any more jam (or drying them).

Back