Storing Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbog

Beer Bog
Reaction score
Hi,

If (after a brew) I collect some trub into a sanitised jar and leave it in the fridge for a while, can I then harvest the yeast using the cool boiled water method or should the harvesting be done straight away.

The yeast is SO4 and I have taken a big scoop and filled up a specimen container (empty of course) and I want to harvest the yeast at a later date and store.

Thanks.

:beerbang:

Yes. There is plenty of info on this site on how to do it.

Basically you should make a starter (eg: 500ml water, 50g LDME), tip the jar of trub into that, sit it for a few days, then tip that into your wort. Dont use trub more than 6 months old.

Naively, without any research, I scooped about 500ml of trub (S-05) into a jar and plopped it straight into wort a couple of days later without any problems.

... I wouldn't do it that way now necessarily, but the beer turned out ok.

Yes. There is plenty of info on this site on how to do it.

Basically you should make a starter (eg: 500ml water, 50g LDME), tip the jar of trub into that, sit it for a few days, then tip that into your wort. Dont use trub more than 6 months old.

you dont have to make a starter at all depending on the amount of yeast slurry collected.

question....

will a clear bottle in the food fridge be ok with turb in it and it's got a bit of hops in there to......

I just scooped up about 200ml turb and 500mls beer. but it's getting a bit of light on light off action in the fridge.....

was going to use on 1st BIAB AG as a test run.....

Latest posts

Back