Storing Grain In The Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
Due to another baby almost due i am running out of room in the house and SWMABO has asked me to move my grain into the shed. I store it in sealed buckets so am not worriedabout vermon. My worry is will heat affect it in any way???

Cheers KHB

Hey, guys - I'm new here and new to brewing.

I am in the grain handling business, so I know a bit about this (but bugger all about brewing!)
If it is in a air-tight container, you should have no worries. Grain insects and moulds need and thrive in high temps, moisture and require oxygen. Air tight containers take away the oxygen they need and reduces moisture. Store it in a dark place with low humidity and you will be fine, even if the temp gets up a bit. In the right conditions, barley can keep for up to 5 years and wheat for up to 20 years.

I am in the grain handling business, so I know a bit about this (but bugger all about brewing!)
If it is in a air-tight container, you should have no worries. Grain insects and moulds need and thrive in high temps, moisture and require oxygen. Air tight containers take away the oxygen they need and reduces moisture. Store it in a dark place with low humidity and you will be fine, even if the temp gets up a bit. In the right conditions, barley can keep for up to 5 years and wheat for up to 20 years.

Welcome Dacky - you might want to add your location into your profile - helps to find nearby brewers.

When you say store in dark place, are solid colour containers going to be a better bet than clear or translucent ones?

cheers

Grant

Welcome Dacky - you might want to add your location into your profile - helps to find nearby brewers.

When you say store in dark place, are solid colour containers going to be a better bet than clear or translucent ones?

cheers

Grant

A dark place as in not in direct sunlight, just to keep the temp down. Sunlight itself will not hurt the grain, but the heat can provide a good breeding ground for moulds and insects. So, the plastic doesnt make a difference, just the heat itself.

Hi Dacky
You are right on the moisture , its the biggest problem.Keep it dry and air tight and you should have no problems for ages.The other problem is keeping the bugs which can be in the grain at bay.Inspect regularly and freeze the buggers if they appear.Mind you I have tasted some great bug beer you cant fault.Where are handling grain?
GB

I was thinking of storing my grain in the Bunnings Garbage bins ($10ea..Bargain) in the shed. But they're not exactly airtight. No good ?

I was thinking of storing my grain in the Bunnings Garbage bins ($10ea..Bargain) in the shed. But they're not exactly airtight. No good ?

Thats what I use,Monty helps out as well

Batz

I work in a grain storage facility also and our pesties are always a bit calmer once winter rolls around because the insects become a bit lesser problem. The rodents, however, are very keen to come in from the cold/wet. Air tight will keep the weevils and borers under control but the rats will get through almost anything to get to a feed. I have seen holes that have been chewed through walls to get to the inside of a cupboard full of grain samples.

Rat_.jpg

Hi Dacky
You are right on the moisture , its the biggest problem.Keep it dry and air tight and you should have no problems for ages.The other problem is keeping the bugs which can be in the grain at bay.Inspect regularly and freeze the buggers if they appear.Mind you I have tasted some great bug beer you cant fault.Where are handling grain?
GB

As long as it is air-tight, you won't have a problem, bugs need oxygen to survive and if there is any in there, they will soon die.

Even if you inspect regularly, the chances are that you won't see them unless they are really bad. With the technology we have, there has to be more than 300 bugs per tonne before we can see them. So, I would say keep it shut (if it is air tight). If it isn't (like a Bunnings rubbish bin) it should be okay in the colder months, but to be sure you could just silicone it up.

In the cold weather they are less active, but rodents are more active. Just bait 'em!

but rodents are more active. Just bait 'em!

Aaah, the stench of death.

We've got a problem at work with small field mice that have found their way inside, nibbled the baits and crawled somewhere inconvenient to die. They make a lot of smell for such a little animal.

cheers

Grant

Aaah, the stench of death.

We've got a problem at work with small field mice that have found their way inside, nibbled the baits and crawled somewhere inconvenient to die. They make a lot of smell for such a little animal.

cheers

Grant

Why do they have to do that? :angry:
Cant they find somewhere in the open to die conveniently!.
Your absolutely right, the little buggers stink to high heaven for such a little carcass and then the PITA search to find where its coming from.

Cheers,
BB

Mouse traps loaded with peanut butter. The grey plastic jobbies work a treat.

Sorts out their little red wagons quick smart. :D

Why do they have to do that? :angry:
Cant they find somewhere in the open to die conveniently!.
Your absolutely right, the little buggers stink to high heaven for such a little carcass and then the PITA search to find where its coming from.

Cheers,
BB

Especially when they scamper back into their hole in the wall.

Mouse traps loaded with peanut butter. The grey plastic jobbies work a treat.

Sorts out their little red wagons quick smart. :D

This is true. Mother-in-law calls me over in a flap as she had a little critter running riot nearby while she was enjoying her evening viewing. Took over one of these plastic jobs loaded with a smal spot of peanut butter. Sat down after accepting a stubbie of gratitude only to hear the snap of the trap before I even threw back the last gob full. Job done.

I find these drums to be excellent for grain storage.

30391297_tp.jpg

One of these will fit about 3 x 25kg bags.

I have 35 of these mika - they're fine, sturdy enough, you can drop a whole 25kg sack in and put the lid on fine and you can seal them up simply by getting some of that rubber doorseal strip and sticking it to the top edge. That will keep the little buggers out......

who are you calling little? :D
I don't think you're quite small enough to qualify...and anyway I don't mind the ones that pay for the malt they take :p

picture that....Smurto discreetly trying to climb into a 60L bin of malt while no-one's looking :lol::lol:

Back