Storing Bottles In Your Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

Reaction score
Hello,

So have been brewing for just under 6 months (K&K) and onto my 10th batch. I've had to drink lots of Coopers Sparkling Ale but now have plenty of spare 750ml bottles :icon_cheers: . Also managed to purchase a 370 litre beer fridge and have started to fill it.

So onto my question;

How do others store their beer bottles in the fridge?

As you can see from my pic I just have them standing free style and am worried that one knock will send them all flying.

I have thought about using boxes or some sort of barrier in the fridge but am unsure how I can do this without making it hard to get to my beer :unsure: . I also don't want to modify the fridge if I can help it.

Any ideas would be great.

(appologies for this post being in the wrong area - how can i change this?)

IMG_0115.JPG

Looks like a perfectly set up beer fridge to me - just dont knock them. Ive not seen any fridges customised to store bottles whether it be commercial beer or HB. Just dont stagger and fall into it pissed one night.
Cheers
Steve

Looking good there John, they longies on the top shelf there?

I had to fiddle around a bit to get my beer fridge setup just how I wanted. Only a smallish sort of bar fridge, had to fiddle around with the shelves in the middle so I could fit longies in. Also wound up removing one of the shelves on the door so I can fit longies in there too.

Then again i'm a stickler for having my beers stored upright in the fridge. You may find those sideways bottles on the bottle shelf wind up with sediment stuck to the side of the bottle, which can be a pain in the ass.

I sit mine on there side and lay them on top of one another. No risk of them falling over as long as you pick from the top :p

You may find those sideways bottles on the bottle shelf wind up with sediment stuck to the side of the bottle, which can be a pain in the ass.

:eek:

Jeezus - I didnt notice the ones lying on their side. They will be very cloudy beers when you grab one out to pour. They have to be upright.

:eek:

Jeezus - I didnt notice the ones lying on their side. They will be very cloudy beers when you grab one out to pour. They have to be upright.

Dont tend to have any problems with clarity to my mind. After fermentation i rack to my secondary with gelatine and chill at 0 - 2 degrees for a week, seems to do the trick :)

Dont tend to have any problems with clarity to my mind. After fermentation i rack to my secondary with gelatine and chill at 0 - 2 degrees for a week, seems to do the trick :)

but when they are lying on their side the yeast settles into the side of the bottle. When you take one out and turn the bottle upright the yeast will be stirred up.

I don't think he would grab his first from the ones on the bottom...

If I had that sort of space, I would rotate!

New ones on their side, 'old' ones standing up!

Looking good there John, they longies on the top shelf there?

I had to fiddle around a bit to get my beer fridge setup just how I wanted. Only a smallish sort of bar fridge, had to fiddle around with the shelves in the middle so I could fit longies in. Also wound up removing one of the shelves on the door so I can fit longies in there too.

Then again i'm a stickler for having my beers stored upright in the fridge. You may find those sideways bottles on the bottle shelf wind up with sediment stuck to the side of the bottle, which can be a pain in the ass.

Yep, i've got 2 shelves of longnecks in the top part of the fridge and then 1 shelf of 375ml (all standing up). Ideally, I'd have all bottles in the fridge standing up but the ones on the bottom just won't fit upright (for a 4th shelf).

I don't rack to secondary (for long) but leave them in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks and then bulk prime in another container. My beers have all been pretty clear(ish) so less hassle with the sediment. Maybe I have low expectations regarding clear beers.

Sorry to open anh old thread - but this question is related and I couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

If I want to store my beer for 12 months, should I do this in the fridge or in a dark cupboard ?

If for 3 months - same question.

I am guessing that at room temperature there will still be some aging going on, so I wouldn't want to store it warm for too long ?

thanks

Digger

Store them in a coolish place, if possible. Otherwise ambient temperature is fine.
Absence of light is good, so look for a dark place.
No need to store them in the fridge, until you are ready to chill them for consumption.

cellar temps would be ideal: 9-12 ish. Either that or in the fridge. Better cold than hot.

You want them to be

In the dark
Cool
Stable in temp.

If its good for wine.. pretty much is for beer too.

OR - fridge the whole time. Which is basically going to lager them.

thanks - I have a spare 390l fridge (in the pool room) so I will load it up with the bottles.

Back