Storing Bottled Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdelaideHillsBrewer

Reaction score
Just finished bottling my third batch I have done in the last couple of weeks. I was wondering how high temps would effect bottled beer over periods of time ( for example long necks stored in milk crated in the garage). I live in the Adelaide hills, its common to get very cold nights and warm to hot days throughout summer. Just thought heat may effect beer after the carbonation process has taken place.
What do you blokes do for storage? Any thoughts on this would be great. beer1.jpg

Big swings in temperature along with heat are both bad from my experience.

Stable temperature location inside could be your best bet. Or a cellar...

how do the big company's store it..where i keep my beer i have a fan circulating the air..if you really concerned some damp towels over the crates with a fan blowing onto them

Just finished bottling my third batch I have done in the last couple of weeks. I was wondering how high temps would effect bottled beer over periods of time ( for example long necks stored in milk crated in the garage). I live in the Adelaide hills, its common to get very cold nights and warm to hot days throughout summer. Just thought heat may effect beer after the carbonation process has taken place.
What do you blokes do for storage? Any thoughts on this would be great.View attachment 49367

Thats a tough one, personally in that environment I'd either dig a cellar or get into kegging. I am a fan of bottle conditioning so I'd probably dig the cellar, just so I could properly age some strong beers. Air con in a well insulated above ground room would work too. Perhaps a garden shed, lined with roof sisolation & pink bats + the AC might do the trick.

I keep my brew fridge in a 2x1 meter wooden shed with sisolation, it was more heat resistant than the house (got in the shade of the house by mid afternoon), certainly not good enough for beer storage without A/C

I'm currently experimenting with storing mine under the house. From the few tests I've done there doesn't appear to be too big of a fluctuation in temp, plus we had a 32 degree day here yesterday and under the house stayed nice and cool.

Or as Father Jack suggested, you could dig a celler - perhaps something like this:

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
how do the big company's store it..where i keep my beer i have a fan circulating the air..if you really concerned some damp towels over the crates with a fan blowing onto them

in air-conditioned warehouses usually.....though I wonder about Dan Murphys.

Oh man! When I was looking at houses to buy there was this one that had a 10 x 6m shed with a concrete floor and a drive over inspection pit that was about 2m deep and about 6m long and concreted. I was excited by it at the time and the missus asked why, I said to her it would make a great cellar, she wasn't as impressed as me. We didn't buy that house.

surely a big old dead fridge would work ok? my fermenter fridge sits at 19 degree's pretty much all the time, and hardly turns on. and we have 35+ days here, as long as it cools down at night then it's pretty right.

Thanks everyone, some great ideas in that lot....don't think I could swing a cellar or warrant the expense, but I like Furys idea of an old fridge or maybe a dead chest freezer. Or maybe a big working upright freezer with a temp controller running it. I must say my temp controller on the ferment fridge is great and your right the thing hardly runs at temps like 19 deg. Thanks again guys for the ideas!

Back