Storing Beer In Kegs Out Of The Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbrewer

Reaction score
I have a question.
I am very new to kegs, first brew in and chilling and gassing yesterday.
Can I brew a batch and put it in the keg and keep it out of the fridge? I can just fit two kegs in the fridge with it's current configuration, but I only have one set of gas lines.

Can I put the brew in and gas it up to get rid of the air and replace the C02 (instructions call this burping) and then leave it until I need to use it the gas and chill as normal? Or do I have to wack in heaps of gas?

I would think that if I get rid of the air with C02, then I should be able to leave it for an indefinite period until the other keg gets low. Then I should be able to gas it up cold over a few days.

Is this correct

You are correct and have answered your own question pretty much!

Yes purge your keg of oxygen, by burping it and adding some CO2. Then you can leave out of the fridge for an extended period of time, without hassles.

Keeping in mind when a cold fully gassed keg warms up, it shall push gas out of solution - however cornie kegs are pretty strong.

Your one set of gas lines can be split with a T piece and another gas disconnect, so you can drink one keg, while both kegs in the fridge are being gassed up. Thats how I have my fridge configured at the moment.

You are correct and have answered your own question pretty much!

Yes purge your keg of oxygen, by burping it and adding some CO2. Then you can leave out of the fridge for an extended period of time, without hassles.

Keeping in mind when a cold fully gassed keg warms up, it shall push gas out of solution - however cornie kegs are pretty strong.

Your one set of gas lines can be split with a T piece and another gas disconnect, so you can drink one keg, while both kegs in the fridge are being gassed up. Thats how I have my fridge configured at the moment.

Thanks Raven,
I'll do up the next keg as you said, as I think with my experimenting and the fun of drinking with heaps of mates waiting to see how it turns out, it won't take long for the first to drain.

The T piece sounds good. Would a home brew shop carry something like that? Eventually my fridge will undergo a total conversion and fit three kegs, but will have to move slowly so SWMBO will be happy. After I do a lime infused keg, I'm sure she will be keen for it.

Cheers

Ben

Raven is good Raven is wise!!

T piece is very handy.

Yep you answered your own question there...

Wow 1 brew in and onto the kegs already. What's on for the second brew? Full AG with decoctions? :lol:

Anyway Welcome Benbrewer

Raven is good Raven is wise!!

T piece is very handy.

Yep you answered your own question there...

Wow 1 brew in and onto the kegs already. What's on for the second brew? Full AG with decoctions? :lol:

Anyway Welcome Benbrewer
Thanks Chappo

Been brewing for a while (13 years this year, although mostly kit), finally made the move to kegs.
I have Coopers Larger in as I know the brewing will not be the cause of a problem. Next one probably another Larger to iron out my gassing bugs. Next a Lime infused mexican cervza from the recipe on the forum.
AG is coming, making the big step!

Ben

Welcome aboard.
You could use secondary fermentation to carb the keg for you, i think you toss in about 200g of dextrose in a 20L keg.
You'll need to check that, and it will improve with age as the yeast does its job.

Enjoy

Sorry Mate I read your OP and looked to see how many posts etc on your profile. Mistook first brew as being actually your first brew. That'll teach me huh?

I have been brewing on and off myself for 10 years kits only. In the last 6 months I have got very serious about it and just loving it. The kegs will make a difference as well. Easier, more convienient and less work for a better result.

I was reading a thread this morning on the infused stuff. Not my cup of tea but if you search "infused" in the engine I am sure it will pop up.

Back